1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas on Bronco

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by SCSIndust, Jun 22, 2005.

1. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I was looking to get a newer (94-96) Bronco for snow and lawn care. I was thinking about finding one with a 5.8L to haul my 16' landscape trailer. I have used Broncos in the past to plow, and would love to have another, but it has to be able to pull a trailer easily. Do you guys think it would work? The trailer weighs about 5000lbs loaded. I was also thinking of swapping 1-ton axles into it.
  2. LD4850

LD4850 Member

Yes the Bronko you are looking at will pull the trailer.
  3. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Another question for ya... Since the Bronco weighs so little, is there a chance that the trailer could take over the truck, and move it around? One guy said he was using a Bronco, and slammed on his brakes, and the trailer made the truck and trailer go sidewards because the Bronco was so light. That is my biggest fear - lose of control of the trailer.
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

install elec brakes in the trailer.

Any trailer can jacknife, more common on lighter tow vehicles, but they all can do it. Make sure the trailer is loaded properily for weight distribution.
  5. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

This particular trailer has brakes on one of the two axles. I hate trailers without brakes. Right now I am pulling it with a sincgle cab short bed f350 diesel. It is quite a small truck. I love how manueverable it is with this small truck, but I need something that seats at least 3. Now, with the bronco, do you think it will have 'just enough' power to pull with a 5.8, or will it have 'plenty of power' to pull?
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A 5.8 Full Size Bronco should pull fine. You just have to remember that you have all that weight behind you. I have seen trailers with Bobcats on them tip trucks over on the highway.Don't drive like your going to a fire, you should be fine. It's better to be late then get a ticket and all your equipment damaged or destroyed.
    Don't put a heavy plow on it ( 4 springer - etc ),replace the Auto hubs with manuals,Timbrens, add a big Trans cooler and at least a 100 amp alternator.
    Add some tube sand for weight in the hatch area.
  7. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Also, remember putting 1 ton axles in the truck is not exactly a bolt in thing. It will wind up giving you a 4-6" lift which means higher center of gravity. Believe me, the TTB is good enough for hauling a trailer.

8. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

After looking into the whole ordeal, I'm starting think my Suburban is the way to go. The only problem with that truck is, I think the engine just went. It would be still be cheaper to fix it and build it up, rather than buy another truck. I haven't made up my mind yet.