1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas needed to lift saltdogg to clear trailer hitch...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Motorcityman, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Motorcityman

Motorcityman Junior Member

I'm new to the forum and new to salting but have been plowing snow for about 15 years now. Yesterday I bought a Saltdogg 2 yard spredder and installed all the wiring today and hopper in my truck today (06' Ram 3500 cummings). I'm looking to lift the hopper to clear my trailer hitch but need a good suggestion. I asked one of the mechanics at the dealer and he quickly shot the idea down. The unit I bought has a quick release chute and is quite easy to remove gaining access to the hitch but I want to be able to use a storage rack to carry a snow thrower. The storage rack that I have would have to be removed once at the job site but I have been kicking around ideas on making a new one where I wouldn't which wouldn't get in the way of the salt being spread. Also would be great to have it on if I accidently back into something.

A buddy of mine suggested using 2x12's to raise up the machine, what do you guys think of that idea? Sorry i'm so long winded here but I just got this thing hooked up and i'm pissed it doesn't clear the hitch. What say you?? Thanks.. Joe

[​IMG]

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

no need to lift the spreader. just unbolt the spinner.

3. speedy

speedy Senior Member

How about welding another receiver tube off to the side? Or even on both sides of the hitch frame? Then build a rack that goes around the spinner and above the tragectory of the salt. that way, you'd have some protection for the spinner if you back into something.

Raising the salter up will raise the center of gravity, not the best idea for handling....I realize it's a plow truck, not a Porche but still.....

4. jcos

jcos Junior Member

A friend of mine has a tool body on his truck and he mounted his salter on top of
    6x6's timbers in order to make it fit. I think the chute is supposed to be below the bumper, because he ended up having to get the extended chute. hope this helps

5. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

The center of gravity is too high on that spreader anyways, I have one and fully loaded it's not something to drive a long distance.

Either remove the spinner and go with the hassle of switching things out or get a shovel.

6. Motorcityman

Thanks for the replies, I thought it looked a little high on the center of gravity. I'm going to have to figure a way put a snow blower somewhere though as I have a nice amount of sidewalks to do at one of my commercial accounts. I'll get the welder out today and fabricate something up, i'll be sure to post pic's when i'm done. Joe

Helps having one of these.

[​IMG]

7. drumbo

drumbo Member

Would your truck sit up high enough to put a drop hitch into the receiver? You could fab one that way either way.

What did you pay for that spreader? I was just looking into them.

8. Motorcityman

Tomorrow I'll look to see if welding another receiver on the bottom will clear, thats a good idea. The spreader cost 3K they wanted another 300 to install it but I decided to do it myself, wiring was a snap and only took about two hours to do. I finished the install tonight by building a 2x6 wood frame that goes in front of the hopper in the bed to prevent it from sliding forward in case I have to make a hard stop. I also centered it post these pic's, all in all i'm happy with it although I have yet to use it, we'll see soon enough. The only thing thus far i'm not crazy about is the control box, its too big in my opinion, like they didn't put much thought into it when they made it. Joe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. drumbo

drumbo Member

That's a sweet looking rig, either way...with some sweet looking snow, in every way!

10. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

why can't you leave a snow blower chained by the dumpster ? I have two that stay on site all winter

11. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

What happens when the dumpster is lifted to be emptied...DAAAA....

12. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

BX88128

2" Drop Receiver

BX88129

4" Drop Receiver

BX88130

6" Drop Receiver

BX88131

8" Drop Receiver

BX88132

10" Drop Receiver
    BX88194

4"Drop Receiver - 4 Inches Longer
    BX88195

6" Drop Receiver - 4 Inches Longerkinda like speedy said ,but just io carry the blower try a drop receiver ,re-drilled and mounted to the side instead of down ! these are blue ox part number go to their web site to see pictures

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  13. drumbo

drumbo Member

Exactly what I was trying to say...

14. salopez

salopez Senior Member

guys that shoot comes off for just this purpose..2 bolts... don't spend more money just use the wrench you already have.

15. SGC08

SGC08 Member

Not that this helps with your problem but shouldn't the rear feet be back farther, just out of the bed which would keep the unit from sliding forward if you hit the brakes? It looks like its installed too far forward which would cause all of the weight to sit on the "feet" not the bottom of the box.

16. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

This year has a new design for the feet. They fit all the way in the bed now, unlike previous models.

Just my .02¢

17. SGC08

SGC08 Member

Oh, OK. I was just going by my model.

18. Motorcityman

I installed it according to the directions. In the directions it instructs to build a box frame out of 2x6 lumber and 2x4's for the purpose as not allow the unit to slide forward into my truck/rear window. On the discharge is a stainless steel guard which is supposed to sit two inches from the bumper.

19. SGC08

SGC08 Member

yeah, I guess they changed the design. Seems like they went backwards but maybe they had problems with the old way.

20. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

A couple things I noticed with this spreader is we keep a 1 1/4" wrench in the truck to break the auger loose if it jambs and put some kind of a gaurd to protect the spinner area if you back into things. Last year with the amount of snow we had, just backing into snow berms broke that plastic cover twice and moisture wrecked one spinner motor - I need to work on my driving skills. Otherwise we put 250 ton thru it no problem.