1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ideas for snow removal on pain in the ass sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mc1, Jan 20, 2009.

1. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

i looking at a property that has about 2300 ft of 6 foot walks with offices on one side i thinking about a atv with plow but heard they dont do well in deep snow the job is near the airport so drifting is a problem i plan to have a truck with a 9 ft blade and a backhoe with a 14 foot pusher any suggestions would help
  2. frue

frue Member
    from Pa

Snow blower
  3. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

better yet a snow thrower!
  4. hvphotog

hvphotog Junior Member

5. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

offices on one side whats on other?if parking lot just plow with a truck taking your time to be safe. other wise couple of blowers
  6. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Jeep Wrangler or Liberty with a 6'8" Snoway 22 series.
  7. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

You would be surprised with how much snow you can push with an ATV. I would say with 2300 ft go with the ATV.

If you do go with the snow throwers though I would get a big 8 horse 2 stage and a Toro single stage. You can use the big one for heavy snowfalls and the Toro for snowfalls less than 4" or so. The thing is the 2 stage will throw the deep snow with no probs, but will be slow for the smaller amounts. The Toro single stage will throw 4 inches as fast as you can walk.

Just my 2 cents.
  8. jg244888

jg244888 Senior Member

compact tractor you can pick them up pretty cheap now with low hrs
  9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Do what you can with the truck, though some property owners get testy about trucks on the walks, they have this notion it won't support it well. Back drag what you can't with the backhoe, if you go with the atv you'll be fine in all but the heaviest snow and drifts, then you have the other 2 options above and besides you know you want the quad anyway....LOL and this way its a tax deduction!!!!!
  10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Bobcat w/ v blade or box
  11. sp6x6

sp6x6 Member

Commercial walks in my area are 5'. I run down them with a 6' blower on a skid steer , cab and hvac
  12. Advanced Glenn

Advanced Glenn Junior Member

We have three churches that we take care of. Most of the time the ATV is excellent. Really fast. Sometimes I cannot believe how quick I get the sidewalks done. We also keep a couple of snowblowers on hand for the wet & heavy stuff, I will return after all of our other account have been serviced to take a quick cleanup run with the ATV. We always get at least a double wide path. This way it makes it easy for the next storm. We have had a lot of snow this year, and we have only had to pull out the snowblowers once or twice. I would get the ATV for primary and like someone else mentioned, you can always use your truck in real heavy stuff. Oh I forgot to mention our ATV is only 2WD, but it still works great!
  13. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

We use a Case DX 40 with a 7 foot blade and a New Holland TC 30 with a 6 foot blade and 6 foot wide loader onfront. Once the guys are finished with the walks we use the back blades to pull out the tight spots such as garbage bins and handicaped park spots WORKS REAL SLICK!!!!!!!!
  14. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure that you have a pricing breakdown that allows for more time to be spent/ trips for the bigger snows. assuming one side is open to the parking lot, this is a perfect case for an atv, you wont have to worry about walls building up on either side of the sidewalk, just windrow away from the building, and then away from the curb, and have the truck or backhoe take care of getting rid of that snow, also make sure you can time it so plowers and sidewalkers are there at the same time.
  15. ooxteme

ooxteme Junior Member

i use a rtv 900 they push just about anything
  16. unit28

unit28 PlowSite Fanatic

how close are the sidewalks to the parking lot?
    I've had to clear snow from sidewalks that were nowhere near the parking lot.,meaning upper level with retaining walls and landscape in between them and the parking lot.
    Shovel the doors and then run through with single stage. And the single stage cleared most of the stairs too.
    I've also cleared snow from grocery stores and banks, and an atv was the fastest. Parking lot against sidewalk.

My guess is the place you're talking has a very low trigger. So mainly a single stage may suffice with atv backup?
  17. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

toolcat or bobcat w/blower?
  18. SnowedUnder

SnowedUnder Member
    from ontario

I know one guy who does them with a medium small tractor. Hand shovels the entrances and obstructions for several inches, then he pushed the snow onto the road. I was looking at the surveillance video and it looked REALLY efficient.

The ATV sounds like a fantastic idea but I doubt anyone would dare leave it on site. Besides, can you really put a five foot blade on them?