1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for new truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JonnyCash, Jan 2, 2013.

1. JonnyCash

JonnyCash Junior Member

Hello everyone.
    My first child is on it's way, and I need to replace my wife's mustang with something that will fit a baby seat in the back. Of course I immediately thought of a crew cab pickup, but that is not practical at all.
    I currently run a f-350 for my lots and a few driveways and I have a guy in a ranger doing driveways and shoveling. I am at the point now where i could use a third truck out plowing. So If I could find a truck that would be practical for her to drive daily but still be used as a small plow truck, I would be killing 2 birds with one stone.
    It needs to be good on gas (around 20 mpg), have a real backseat, be no bigger than a ranger and be under $10K.
    She likes pickups, but hates suv's. It looks like the smallest pickup with a real back seat is an f-150. But that is too big, and will kill her on gas.
    The best thing I could find was the explorer sport trac. It's kind of funny looking, but I convinced her it looks nice.
    Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.
  2. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

toyota tacoma is what comes to mind. Im not sure what there mpg is though.
  3. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

If I had a bicycle and an explorer to choose from for a plow rig, I'd pick the bicycle.

Have you looked into trying to find a nice clean Jeep Cherokee? You can find a low mileage unit in excellent shape for around 4-5 grand. They generally don't break and the inline six cyls last as long as diesels. Gas mileage will be a tit under 20 depending on how you drive.
  4. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

First thing that comes to mind is a Canyon or Colorado.....even a Dakota. Not sure what the mpg are but I'm sure it couldn't be far from 20.
  5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

A Cherokee, not a grand but the regular boxy Cherokee. Make sure to get the 4.0 in line 6.. great little vehicles and should push as good as a ranger, if not better. Found a 1999 with 65k miles this fall for $6500.
  6. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

To emulate on the Cherokee, stay away from an 00-03, they had serious issues with cracking cylinder heads.

98-99 are the best years to go for, even a 200k mile one will work great if the trans is in good shape.
  7. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Chevy Avalanche? not sure on the gas mileage or if anyone likes them for plowing though haha.
  8. Cobain

Cobain Junior Member
    from Spokane

Whatever you get, buy AMERICAN!!!!
  9. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

unless its free do not buy a sport trac. theyre not very good on gas for how small and worthless they are. and shame on you for considering that 3ft bed thing a truck
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  10. Fordcatrand

Fordcatrand Junior Member

Having the same issue here. Started out looking at a Tacoma. How ever have come full circle and now I'm back to looking at f350 crew cab. Just wish the 6.4 wasn't crap. I'm still not convinced with the 6.7.
  11. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Avalanches are 1500's with a sheet ton of plastic on them.
  12. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Who said the 6.4 was crap?????
  13. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I figured that would be good for having a childs seat in the back, my boss has one and loves it. Dosnt plow though.
  14. Mega cab

Mega cab Member

Two Subs plow for me with 1500 avalanches they love them and they have held up well with 7.5 with pro wings. Need about 300 - 400 pounds in back to off set weight. Jeep wranglers are nice my wife will not let me put plow on hers Lol. think you could come in around your budget give or take a couple grand. Like the other replys said if you go jeep Inland 6.
  15. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

'12 avalache is an idea.

how bout you climbing in the tuna can with a 6'er and let the better half steer the 350 with the kids ?
    fuel isnt an option while plowing anyway .

under 10k ? hmmmm. tough one

i wouldnt seat any child in a plow vehicle in the first place

16. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

they did make some 2500 avalanches for a few years i have seen a few with plows
    my dad has a 03 he bought new and he absolutely loves it. no major problems the bed is extremely useful it is a great. the avalanche would be a great way to go
  17. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

I can vouch for this one. I have a buddy that is a fireman. He has a 4 door ford with 6.4.....

On occasion he would pull his camper but its not one of the huge ones and he only towed with it a few hours away at a time.

That POS was in the shop time and time again. Injector here injector there, just issue after issue and the other day i got the call on his way to work motor started making a slight funny noise. all at once engine knock.......... lost rod bearing and metal shavings spread and damaged other things.

For as much as those things cost, they should be bullet proof! I bought a 97 powerstroke low mileage because all the ford guys said these trucks were "bulletproof". I could buy another reliable chevrolet plow truck with the stack of repair receipts I have on that POS.... No more fords for me. Over 300,000 miles logged between our 3 chevrolet 6.0 gass trucks and the only thing we do is change oil. NO more fords for me.

Sorry, didnt mean to hijack. you asked though. LOL

By the way, 2 of there ambulances at the firehouse have the 6.4's and one of them is constantly in shop according to him........ All of these including his truck have less than 100K on them...... Worse part is he plows with his truck and he missed out on this first storm. Truck sittin in a shop with engine pulled. I gladly let him borrow one of my reliable chevrolet trucks. Thats what he will have next....... Theres lemons in all of them though I understand that. Im not gonna pick on ford in general but there diesel department needs some help. I think very highly of the fords with the 5.4 gas engines. Ive got some buddies with tons of miles on them and they just keep on runnin....
  18. Fordcatrand

I have alway had fords and have to agree with snow crazy. Ford never should have let the 7.3 go. They are bullet proof. We have 2 and all we have to do is change oil both are over ten years old. 01,02 respectively. Bodies need work but mechanically sound. We have had a few 5.4 great trucks got plenty out of both currently still got one going In 04 1 ton dump. We had a need for a bigger dump 2 years ago and picked up a 06 550 with a 6.0. The guy we bought it from gave it away to us it had 52000 miles extended cab rugby dump three shoots for asphalt electric tarp. The whole 9 , geat truck all the records . He just couldn't stand it being in the shop all the time. He already did the injectors truck was only 3 years old at the time. We took the gamble cause the deal was so good so far have been lucky. The point is ford has dropped the ball and the 6.4 was worse then the 6.0. Let's hope the 6.7 got it right. I would like a ford with a cummins personally . I want to stay loyal but am waiting to see how the 6.7 play out till then I will keep my 7.3 going. 6.4 are crap and that's coming from a loyal ford guy
  19. M & MD Lawn

M & MD Lawn Senior Member

I agree with the avalanche.... That was my first thought but you said you wanted something good on gas and such
  20. Fordcatrand

Just saw a excursion with a 7.3 in her for sale I think that would make a goof plow truck maybe get a goog back up camera