1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for New Lid

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by FLS 9602, Jan 10, 2010.

1. FLS 9602

FLS 9602 Junior Member

Well yesterday while I stopped into Target, some piece of trash stole the lid off my new Snow Ex 1075. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on its replacement? I know the new new is available for about $200.00, but I was curious if someone has made their own or if it is really needed at all. I just don't want to buy another and lose it too.
  2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

id consider 2 peaces of ply would with hinges , flip open cover. granted its not going to be as "water proff" as the stock molded cover, but it would keep a good majority of the water out. paint it black and use a rubber spray can of truck bed linner ,shouldlook pretty good. altho id bet your going to spend 50 bucks to get it done.
  3. dforbes

dforbes Senior Member

I do think one is needed. your salt will be wet and stick to the sides, durring a long storm it will effect the way the spreader works. I made one one time for an old buyers spreader. one of the old orange square ones. I use plexeglass and piano hinge to fasten it and bunjees to hold it tight. It worked pretty good. I am not familiar with your spreader so I dont know if this would be cost effective on it. I did run across a website yesterday that had buyers spreader tops cheap. I will try and find it again and see if they have one to fit your spreader.

4. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

I read awhile back a fellow lost his and it was about 400 for a replacement...following this post I now use a cable lock when not in use I wish you luck in fabbing up a new one... sorry to hear about the news
  5. billet-boy

billet-boy Member

I would get a new one then do the cable lock, anything you manufacture won't look as good.
  6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

Stainless lid

Made several for my buyers units outta stainless , they just slip down an over the top of the spreader . They have alittle weight to them so they dont fly off!! Time an material i might have 100 bucks in them.
  7. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My buddy had a heating and cooling company make a lid for his out of galvanized sheet metal.
  9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Hey does target use video surv of their parking lot? Then again your time might be worth the $200 bucks and a $5 cable lock.
  10. FLS 9602

FLS 9602 Junior Member

Thanks for all the ideas, I ordered one today from CPW although it is on backorder as usual with Snow Ex parts. Anyway, $178.00 and a cable lock should help in the future, I hope the dude that stole it has someone swing open the spreader with salt in and bend the bed and brackets. Loser.....
  11. Diesel Nick

Diesel Nick Member

I have a 575 and never thought about someone taking it. How would you hook a cable lock up to it?
  12. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

I drilled 3 holes front back and lid and secured an eyebolt in each hole. I also used some large fender washers so the bolts couldn't be pulled through, then ran the cable through all 3 ...simple and doesn't look too bad....I would also dab a spot of paint that you could readily identify if you saw another on the road in your travels...keep your eyes out for an old crappy spreader with a new lid...and then return the favour plus a reminder (of whatever methods)that you know it was him that ripped you off!!!
  13. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

Another thought that you could utilize a simple (stainless)hinge lock with a padlock ...alot more simple and functional looking and cleaner looking...in retrospect this is the idea I should have gone with...its visable and makes a visual deterrent
  14. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member