1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ideas for locking a ultra mount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snowish10, Nov 4, 2012.

1. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone use or know of any ideas on how to either lock the plow when its off the truck or when its on? Im tired of hearing everyones plow is getting stolen and I don't want to be one of them!

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The knew version of the ultra-mounts have a security code you can program in via the handheld controller that dissables it unless they have the controller and the code. Other than this I have seen people buy tembered chain and a good padlock so they could secure it to a post or a tree.

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Unhook it from the truck and push the headgear forwards toward the blade. Doing this will pull the part of the aframe that slides into the receivers high off of the ground and way out of level. Take a chain or some sort of locking device and lock the light tower to the aframe. This will at least slow them down.

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

What model do you have My multiplex system 9.6MVP plus has a code and you dont know the code it wont lift off the ground

5. snowish10

western pro plus, I believe it is an 2008 model.

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

well you have older system your best luck be a big log chain and few pad locks

7. Kingcuster

Kingcuster Junior Member

I just bought a trailer hitch lock for mine. It will work good to lock it on your truck. When its off the truck it prevents you from locking the one side in. Im thinking about buying another one so it would prevent someone from locking either side in. If not that I might just buy a chain and secure it to my front porch

8. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

ultramount lock

Not to jump the thread, but on the same lines;

Anyone create a way to lock the receiver brackets on the truck to prevent their theft? A friend of mine had his stolen while in the Walmart!

9. snowish10

Blueline38, I also want to find a way to lock up the receivers.

10. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Drill the hole bigger and put a bolt through it snugged up tight? It takes less than 30 seconds to remove them.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Going along a similar line we drill them larger and add a small padlock on each one. Been doing it since the Ultras first came out to assist those with sticky fingers.

12. snowish10

B&B it seems like theres not alot of room to make a whole on the side of the receivers. Do you have any pictures of the receivers with the locks on them

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry I don't have a pic handy. We do drill off center of the existing hole as there's plenty of space to effectively "move" the hole over while going a little larger for a lock. Don't require much of lock, just a lock is sufficient.

14. snowish10

How big of hole did you drill? Ill have to do that.

15. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Try to stick with locks that have a 1/4" shackle, so a 8/32 or 19/64 bit. Just depends on which one is the sharpest that day. :D

17. mishnick

To keep people from steeling your recievers just get a 3/4 bolt with a locknut in place of the big pin. No need to drill or buy padlocks that just get seized from the snow & salt. I have had my recievers on my 550 for three years now with the 3/4 bolts and even I don't want to take them off let alone some thieving idiot in a Wallmart parking lot. They will come off, you just need a big m$#@fu#r wrench or an impact. Most theives I know don't carry tools. All the people I know who have had recievers stolen had the original quick release pins.

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah we started out doing that but removing/installing the receivers for the customer every spring and fall got old for us and the customer. As not only do most thieves not carry the necessary 1 1/8" tools neither does the average Joe. And if he can't remove/install himself there's little point to removable receivers.

19. mishnick

My truck is high enough I never take them off but I suppose most people would remove in summer. I guess it's a question of preferance. Do you prefer fighting with seized little pad locks or big wrenches?

20. snowish10

Mishnick What grade bolt did you get??? I would most likely just leave the receivers on for the winter then take them off for the summer