1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ideal Snowplow Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mike 97 SS, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Im just curious to what everyone would consider the ideal snowplow truck. When i say that, i mean if you were to buy 1 brand new truck and only were gonna have 1 truck and nothing else, what would you buy? Now im just talking for doing like driveways and maybe a few lots here and there, no streets or anything like that. Im not buying a new truck, just wondering how everyone would answer this question. Now im talking if price of the truck wasnt an issue and price of the snowplow or salter unit wasnt an issue. Nothing bigger than a 1 ton. Ford, Dodge, or Chevy? Crewcab, Regular cab, Extended cab? Diesel or Gas? Stick or Auto? What namebrand plow and what size? V or Straight? I wanna hear some good answers. :D It seems to me from reading the other thread that Ford is a very popular choice. I just wanted to start this thread for the fun of it to see what everyones ideal combo would be. Also if you already bought a new truck and there is anything you would have made different, what would it be? Such as, did you buy a 250, but now wish it was a 350? Maybe you bought a gasser but wished it was a diesel now? Mike
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2002
  2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Oh man, i just did a search for this same topic and found SlimJimZ71 asked the exact same thing about 2 years ago. I should have did the search first, i just "assumed" no one ever asked this. I guess thats what happens when you assume? :( Well anyway since i started this already anyone wanna give an answer or maybe have a new idea for the ideal plow truck since you last answered to the other thread 2 years ago? Sorry guys for not doing the search first. Sorry Chuck. Mike
  3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yes, it has been brought up before.... You asked about NEW trucks, and since the thread Tim (slimjim) started was 2 years ago, things have changed as far as new trucks go, and plows too.
    No harm done.

I think one of the most interesting ultimate plow truck threads didn't specify new, but rather just the ultimate plow truck. I for one was not surprised at how many replies talked about older trucks.

While we are on the subject, I have been meaning to post about new trucks and plows myself. We just got a 2002 Dodge 2500. I am a little dissappointed at the minimal amount of space, and lack of locations for switches for a plow, spreader, amber light / strobe light, etc. The drink holder takes up most of the dash.

It would be far too costly, but the big 3 should think a little about their "plow prep" packages. When someone orders one, there should be room for all these extras. Heck, they should pre-wire switches in the steering wheel for plow and salter controls, instead of cruise control, or a radio control. Maybe have an accessory switch panel with switches already in place, and connected to individual fused circuits. Now there's an idea!

4. fordman

fordman Senior Member

My ideal plow truck would have to be a new F350, reg cab with the diesel and auto tranny of course. On the front I would have a western MVP and in the back I would have an arctic 2 yard spreader.
    Unfortunatly it's just not in the cards right now, but maybe someday. :)
  5. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

"Plow prep" package I'm not impressed with what they give us now. I sent them a list 15 yrs. ago with what I thought we needed (yea, like they would listen) & they still don't have a clue to what we really need.:(

I wouldn't be so pi$$ed but the HEADQUARTERS for them is in a snowy state :eek: , they should be able to ask anyone what we need.

What we need & what we get is never going to be right they think TRUCKS are cars now. :nono: Give me a real WORK TRUCK not a Caddy. I know some think it's great to have all the little things but we need a TRUCK that you can lean on & not have a $500.00 dent ;) . And have the importaint extras that plower want Dual Alts. & Batterys, switches, circuit breakers & Box, PTO, rear lighting,ext.
  6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

At least GM's plow prep comes with the "aux" roof light switch, relay & wiring. With room to add more expensive factory switches in the panel...
    They thought about it just not hard enough.

I had thought about how great of an idea it seemed to have your plow controls on the steering wheel. Sounds great till you have to angle the plow while turning in a lot. Sometimes it's hard enough to find the right gear when you have been out there long enough. I can only imaging tring to find where the plow controls rotated to.

At least make a 12vt switched power outlet (even a cig plug) located in the bed & bumper. At least as a option. (Great for camping & tailgate parties)

I imagine part of the reason thay havent done much is because of the extra liability thay would have to take on. If joe Scrub wires something in improperly (wrong wire, no fuse, wrong circuit, overload) to the wrong thing it's his fault. But then when Joe "thinks" he is doing the right thing because the power outlet was provided for him & his truck blows up then he's gunna sue. Or at least run back to the dealer & request a new switch be installed "under warranty", becasue he shorted it out... To many hastles to satisfy to few people...
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2002
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Haven't given a whole lot of thought to new. I'd rather have two good used truck and have a backup. But, I have been noticing the Dodge 2500. With a Fisher V plow and a two stage tailgate for the smaller stuff (I've got a two yard sander on a 3500 already).

Running a close second for a plow would be the Blizzard 810.
  8. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Thanks Chuck for letting it go. I promise to do searches FIRST from now on. This was my face when i found the old thread after doing the search. --> :eek: LOL Good answers so far guys, anyone else care to add? Mike
  9. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

2002 Bombardier snowcat with 330hp cummins,16' 12 way front blade with rottotiller on the back to crush the ice,360 degree winch on the bed,to get up them steep hills you know,heat am/fm/cd,auto pilot,heated wiper blades,heated seats and a really neat cup holder.........yup,that should do it:D
  10. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

My Ideal plow truck would be An F450 4X4 6.0 diesel XLT auto with a central Hydraulic system with a Blizzard plow or one that will work good with a central system.A Stainless 9' dump body and 3 yard sander stainless also with a side discharge for extra sand.Full strob light package.A semi auto trap sytem full plate with pintal sent up.This is just off the top of my head there is so much more I would like to add but I will keep it short.:drinkup: Maybe a truck like Pelicans:)
  11. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea those are great answers. Keep em coming! Arc Burn said auto pilot. :D :D Yea that would be cool, but what if the auto pilot runs through a customers garage door, whos wrong the auto pilot or you for using it? :drinkup: Mike
  12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I think mine would be either a 2000 dodge 2500 ctd, auto or an 03 chevy 3500 dmax, allison, both would be 4x4 and would have Western MVP's, and a proflo2..... I might even invest in some of those Mattracks things, you guys ever heard of those? Id have a headache rack on them witha few front and rear facing lights, Stobes on the rack, and on the spreader, heated seats, mirrors and wipers (i like that idea!) hmm, what else could i wish for.......:D
  13. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Pelican's new truck would seem to fit choice for me!

14. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yep, that truck is beautiful! That truck should be in a museum, not out on a job site! :D Mike
  15. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen the Mattracks,big$$$,i wonder how well they would plow?but anyways besides my snowcat,which was a joke,maybe,I guess a 2002 chevy 1 ton reg.cab 8.5 fisher V with a procaster V box in the back,how bout lights that could be controlled electrically like your power mirrors so you could point them were you wanted,not your plow lights mind you but back up and headache bar lights?maybe a "float" mode so sensitive it could just skim the ground on these early season plowings(the ground is very soft here yet,pain in the axx)the float on my fisher is great when the ground is froze,but i really made a mess last week!I'll keep thinking on this one.
  16. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

That's exactly the same thing I thought when I read Mike's first two posts before I read your. Things has changed on trucks as year goes by. And plows too.

Now to the topic, the ideal snowplow truck for me would be a '02 Chevy 2500HD Extended Cab Short Box with 6.0L gas and HD Automatic. And I already have one! :D It has snowplow prep package which includes auxiliary cooler, heavy duty front ends, roof lamp switch, a wire in rear of truck for auxiliary backup light, predrilled hole in the firewall, and headlights harness ready for plow wiring. I got the 6.0L gas engine because I know from resources over this site that power is plenty and it gives the front ends more capacity for carrying bigger plow, although I don't plan to put a plow bigger than 8.5' on it. And it is easier on the front ends too. Speaking about snowplow, my current plan is to put a Fisher 8' X-Blade on it next year. :D I got the automatic because it is supposed to be better and easier for snowplowing, and I have heard many people over Plowsite recommending automatic and I agree. I chose extended cab because it gives me more room capacity for stuff and can carry more people at once. I chose short box because it will help when plowing in a tight driveway. I don't really need the big 8' box, not much use for it. I am sure that this is an excellent setup for my needs. That's is why I bought my wonderful '02 Chevy 2500HD! :D
  17. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh, one more things.... gotta love those heated mirrors with rear defogger. Definitely a big help. :D
  18. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

F-350 V10 XLT plow prep with a tenco 3 yard dump/spreader.with a fisher or boss V plow or the biggest front blade i can hang with a tenco full trip side blade

TRINITY Junior Member

1987 thru 1991 Chevy fullsize Blazer. Remove the top and fabricate a rear cab wall and window. Rebuild the engine but keep it stock. Rebuild the transmission with any heavy duty upgrades that they can perform and install a trans cooler with a fan that is thermostatically controlled. Rebuild the tranfer case. Put a 14 bolt 1 ton axle in the rear and a Dana 60 axle in the front with Warn manual locking hubs. Install dual batteries and a premiere power welder under the hood (comes with a super high amp alt). Since this vehicle would be rusty you would put new sheet metal on with a fresh paint job. The interior would get new carpet and door and dash panels. Of course you would need to have a nice sounding stereo. A Blizzard 810 plow on the front and some kind of back drag plow on the rear that would clear a swing away spreader.
  20. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Thanks Rooster and Mike, but he said 1 ton or less.

I'll nominate the truck I bought last year, my F-350 XLT Powerstroke SRW with A/T, plow package and pillow, equipped with a Blizzard 810. Once I get the strobes and heated mirrors installed, it will be ideal!

I participated in a thread last season on the ultimate plow truck, a hypothetical wish truck, but I couldn't find it. There were some interesting ideas there too.