1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Idea...what do you think

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mcwlandscaping, Feb 11, 2008.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

The bottoms of my door are starting to rust, noticeably and need to be cleaned up with the grinder and painted. However, having the truck painted would be rather expensive. I was thinking, what if i cleaned up all of the rust and chipped paint on the bottom of the panel (all below the black trim panels) and taping off from the bottom of the trim panel and below. Then instead of painting the same color what if i painted the bottom of the panels all the way around the truck with black undercoating? Would that work? If done cleanly would it look ok? I think it would provide great protection for those bottom panels that are so suceptable to rust and getting dinged up. Click link in my sig if you want to see the color of my truck. let me know what you all think about this

2. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I see a lot of people do this and if done well can look good. I believe Mark13's truck is like that. (correct me if I'm wrong.) As far as looking good, thats for you to decide.
  3. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

thats what i did to the inside doors on my chevy, i also did the frame, inside of body panels and the underside of the bed. seems to work, only thing is that it will fade in the sun
  4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I did the same on my white 98 2500. I used black rocker panel spray. I also sprayed the whole under side with Fluid Film. In the spring I will clean the whole truck and redo the Fluid Film. This truck is used as a salt/plow truck. It is clean and I want it to last.
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  5. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

sounds like a good idea.. let me know how it turns out if you decide to do it i think im gunna do that do my dads dodge, (drivers door common dodge fault)
  6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Yup, my truck has had the same thing done. We replaced some of the sheet metal and used that herculiner diy bedliner stuff. Its been on there about 8 months and still no signs of chipping or wear.
  7. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Thats exactly where I was about to point him.... if its good enough to hold together a Ford that it should work for you too!! :D
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I think LineX will be out of the buget for doing all this unless it's a lot less than i think it would be for a specialty job. I will play with photoshop to see how the truck will look with the black and make my final decision based on that. Mark, i will definitely look into the herculiner stuff as well! Will keep you all posted and any more ideas are certainly welcom! :)
  10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I have all of about $60 spent on my herculiner (on sale), sheet metal, and the paint tray.
  11. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

When I had my OBS 97 driver door and cab corner repaired, the body shop commented that inside out rust was a common occurence. No amount of outside treatment will save you from this.
  12. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

they do normally rot from the inside, out. dirt and debris collect and absorb moisture, and block the drain holes. on my 87 Dodge that was starting to do rust out, I took the doors apart, sand blasted the lower 1/2 of the inside, drilled a few more drain holes, coated the remaining surface rust with a "stabilizer", then soaked it all down with rubberized undercoat. it's been a couple years, and it still looks good.
  13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

That is very true. Most of the rot you see on trucks always accours on the inside. My grandfather bought a new in 86 and did a something to help the interior rot. He had a body shop run used oil, like drain oil/motor oil all thru the doors and areas that have drain holes in the body. Then they let it sit for a few days and drain out. The car never smelled from it either. When they sold the car 3 years ago, it still looked like the day they bought it. Not even a rust bubble on it.
  14. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

Spraying oil on the underside (and inside doors and rockers) of vehicles was quite common back in the day. Not very eco friendly though.
  15. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

I wanted to do mine with oil, every year I'd think about it and go look for something to use to spray oil. Tried garden sprayer and it wouldn't work. Finally last year I tried a cheap Wal-Mart Campbell Hausfield sandblaster. I keep my old oil in gallon jugs, I just stuck the rubber hose in one end, hooked up the air and it worked like a charm. First I parked the truck on some huge cardboard sheets I got from the bodyshop, hoods and stuff come in them. Sprayed two gallons on it. Let it drip for a day them dragged the cardboard over to the burnpile. Wish I'd thought of it sooner cause my truck is getting pretty scaly underneath. Since I carry sand/salt around all winter I worry about what it's doing to my truck. I can occasionally wash the truck indoors, but most of the time it sits and rusts after use. I don't think it lasted, it looks plenty dry now, but I'm going to do it again as soon as weather permits. Last time my used supply had a ton of ATF in it, next time I'll use good old 15w40 diesel. Hopefully the black soot color will help stain the bare metal from brown back to a nice black color.
  16. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Back on topic, I've seen the bedliner stuff used, not real pretty IMO. Dries in the sun and turns gray, will let the rust get out of control behind it while you can't see it. I would instead roll on plain old Rustoleum after sandblasting the rust off. Lot cheaper and easier to touch up.