1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Idea for storing plows for the summer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossman 92, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I just leased a new building for our shop. The only problem I have is that there are only 2 bay doors and I want to store our plows over to one side where its almost impossible to jocky a truck around to drop the plow.

My question is, has anyone ever set the plow down on a skid somehow and used a pallett jack to move it around the shop? OR Used the plow dollies I've seen from Angelos?

This building belonged to a furniture maker and he left some big a$$ dolly carts made of a 4 x 8 sheet of 1/2" plywood and 4 large wheels. Not sure if these would work.

Also what about V box spreaders? Right now we use a skid loader to lift them out of the trucks then take them in side and place onto steel saw horses, but the celings are too low in this building to allow this.

Any other ideas, would be great.

Thanks Bossman

2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Why not just move the plows around with your skid steer. Just get the forks under the lower frame and you can move them anywhere. As far as storing a v box, as long as its off the ground a bit I would think it would be ok.

3. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

We have a bunch of plows on skids and move them with the skid and forks.
    Should work with a pump truck too

4. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

Spreaders we hoist off the trucks and hang them at the ceiling

5. Bossman 92

Thanks to both of you. Brian, I never thought about that. Thumbs Up Actually the ceiling is only 10' and in my head I can't pick them up with the loader, but placing them on a skid first is a great idea.

Cedar, I was really looking for somewhere where we could hoist them out and let them hang, but with the low ceilings and the way it's setup it won't work.

I am sure I can place the salters on some big pallets and strap them down and move them with the loader :nod:

Not sure why I didnt think of that myself?? Problem solved!

Thanks Bossman

6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Pallet racks. I have a 60 foot line of pallet racks in my shop just for keeping the plows and salters on. I'll look for more pictures with all the stuff actually on them, but here is a picture of the pushers being put on them. It works great. I keep the bottom floor level "bays" open for organizing summer stuff. It really helps organize in the summer and keeps things out of the way of trucks and equip coming through. In this picture nothing else has made it up there yet, but during the summer each plow and spreader has its own spot on the rack system.

IMG_1500.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  7. Bossman 92

Now I need to find pallet racks. Belive it or not, I've never seen pallet racks before. Do you know how tall they are? The ceilings are only 10' tall, so that maybe a problem.

If you find any more pics I would like to see them.

Thanks Bossman

8. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

You get them used everywhere and just cut them to the length needed. Or they might have 10'

9. Bossman 92

No kidding Cedar? I don't think I've ever seen them. I will have to check craigs list later.

They seem pretty strong, should be strong enough to hold what I have.

Thanks Bossman

10. Bossman 92

Well guess what, I found a ton of this stuff for sale on craigs list. Turns out I am the last guy to hear about this stuff! :rolleyes:

Thanks Bossman

11. merrimacmill

from MA

You've seen them used everywhere. Home depot, lowes, sams club, costco, BJ's, etc...

I buy mine from these people: http://www.amhboston.com/

Mine are 10 feet tall because my skid steer only lifts about that high.

12. Bossman 92

Alright then, your right. I didn't realize what they were called, or their availability.

Thanks Bossman

13. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

i just go out in the trees behind the shop, drop em, unhook the wires, unpin them...they look nice there until late october, i refuse to waste shop space for a freakin snow plow

14. CGM Inc.

from Ontario

One way to look at it :mechanic:

15. merrimacmill

from MA

That is what most people do, but you have to admit the life of the components on the plow will last longer if always kept inside. I wasn't always able to, but now that I can I keep all my trucks and plows indoors unless they are being used, summer or winter.

16. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

what components? i take the pump/motor and wrap a contractor grade garbage bag over that and duct tape it up...if the rest of it rusts out in one summer, i'll just buy another one.

17. KM81

KM81 Member

Home Depot just called. They want their racks back!!! Haha. Nice setup!

18. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've found things actually rust faster when wrapped in plastic because it won't let the moisture out. Maybe our climate is different. I like to keep our pickup blades inside but the rest of the blades sit outside. I think some people have theft problems that's why they want them inside also.

19. dfrench

dfrench Junior Member

i set mine on 2x6's and wipe a coating of grease on the exposed cylinders

SIMA_logo09_WEBSMALL.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  20. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Fluid Film the entire plow and let it sit outside.