1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Idea for installing marker stakes in frozen ground

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Dec 27, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

I had to put some stakes in frozen ground the other day and came up with this idea. Maybe some of you use this already but I just used my cordless drill and a long 1/4" bit to make some pilot holes in the ground first and then pushed the stakes (1/2" fiberglass) in. Kind of hard on the bit though!

Hope this helps someone,

Joel B.
  2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I do the same thing, but I use a 3/8 Masonry bit.

I figure if you can drill thru block, brick and stone .... it should handle frozen ground!:D :waving:
  3. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i use a wood spliter cut down from 2 1/2 to 1 inch works well for wood stakes.i also use the drill for the fiber stakes works wonders lol
  4. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

Just take a 3/8" steel rod and slip a small pipe over it with a stop welded to the end. Drive the 3/8 rod just like a post driver and slip the 3/8 dia. marker in hole. Or order one from Jthomas for 19.00. That 3/8 ths rod will bust right through frost line.