1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ID this lift control!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by thebeave, Dec 19, 2011.

1. thebeave

thebeave Member

I bought a 95 F150 4x4 with plow just to do my 1/4 mile driveway instead of using my old ATV any more. It has a 7ft blade and homemade mount ect. It has an old Western pump that I have been told is a Isarmatic Lift Control from the early 60's but would like any other information anyone can provide! It has up down only and has one cable and a push button control. It looks like **** and has seen better days but seems to work good (although it hasn't snowed yet lol) I'm gonna try and clean it up and paint it over the summer. I drained and changed the fluid already and hope it holds up for a few yrs, hell I've invested $600 on the entire package lol!

387260_10150428403018267_642693266_8557223_2050187969_n.jpg

388296_10150428405568267_642693266_8557229_1277124067_n.jpg

379098_10150428407213267_642693266_8557231_1518762878_n.jpg

381041_10150428408498267_642693266_8557232_30118988_n.jpg

384041_10150428410198267_642693266_8557233_335367143_n.jpg

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

yea,,,thats like one of the first westerns ever made lol no angle at all??? thats old

3. thebeave

thebeave Member

I guess I should of said "No power angle lol" I can angle it by hand! Thumbs Up

4. dieselss

if im gunna guess anything,,a mark 1 maybe??? other than,,old lol looks cool tho.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

wow - never seen one of those. do you have pics of the plow? or zoomed out pics showing how its mounted to the truck? looks like someone was determined to repair it - looks like it had a pretty good crack in it.

hopefully B&B sees this and chimes in. if anyone would know about this pump, it would be him.

6. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

7. thebeave

thebeave Member

Those are the only pics I have and had a hard time getting them on here, it wouldn't upload them! I am having a bit of a problem the last couple of days though, the cable is freezing and doesn't move till it goes above 0c! I can't find any cracks in the casing so it must be at the end somewhere. Is there any way to keep this from happening? I tried coating it with grease but to no avail!

8. thebeave

thebeave Member

Took the torch to it tonight and it seems like it might be the lever freezing and not the cable! Any ideas if this could be and if so any way to stop it? I do hope B&B chimes in, he seems to know his way around these things!

9. dieselss

just outta wonder, did you take the cable off when you torched it??

10. thebeave

thebeave Member

No I left it on but barely touched it with the torch and it still wouldn't move, then put it on the leaver area and it moved. I plan to unhook the cable and see if I can move it by hand so I'll know for sure which one it is!

11. thebeave

thebeave Member

It's the cable!

So I went out as soon as the sun was up this morning, -10c and all,lol. I loosened the screw that hols the cable and lever together and the lever moves freely and the cable is still frozen! At least now I know what it is! I took the cable out of the truck and it's now in the basement by the wood stove thawing out! I can't find any damage to the casing that would be letting water in! Does anyone know if I force WD-40 into it would that keep it from freezing or is there something else I can do? :confused:

12. dieselss

No wd-40 on cables ever!! Use light oil only.

13. thebeave

thebeave Member

What do you consider Light Oil? Never had to do this before! I pulled the inner cable out of the casing and the last foot or so bas pitted pretty pad, I cleaned it up with sandpaper and it's now in pretty good shape. I'm leaving the casing hanging in front of the stove for awhile to let it dry out. I just hope I can get it back together lol! From what I can find it is a RO4D4 5x10 PTO cable!

14. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

It's one of the downfalls of that type of system that you have to deal with and I agree with dieselss on no WD-40. If you use anything on the cables use Kroil or PB Blaster and to get it in the cables take some twine or wire and hang the wires and lightly spray the top side of the cable and let gravity do the work. We normally had to do this twice a season on our old Western's and I don't know what worse dealing with frozen/stuck cables or the electrical issues that come with newer plows.

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Soak it in fluid film. Does it have red or black cables?

16. thebeave

thebeave Member

Just a single black cable!

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Post a picture of the attachment ends of the cable. It should be available. I have not seen one of those in 20/25 years.

18. thebeave

thebeave Member

I have it soaking in fluid film now, I did find them online if I do need to get a new one. I can't post pics it keeps failing upload. The ones I posted I was able to take off of ones I posted on Facebook. It just has a round black knob inside the truck and it's just bare cable with no end that goes into the lever on the pump and held in place with a bolt! The pics do show thw pump end!

19. thebeave

thebeave Member

Ok so it's all back together and works great! I used Fluid Film and let it run through the casing and put some on a rag and wiped it on the cable itself. Put it all back together and now I can pull it with 1 finger and push it with my thumb where before it took a bit of force to move it, Of course it's going above freezing today and raining overnight and tomorrow so won't know about the freezing part for a few days! I will let you all know how it goes. In the meantime any more ideas on to the model of this beast is still welcome! :D

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707