1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I'd like your opinion

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Engineerguy, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Engineerguy

Engineerguy Junior Member
    from Chicago

I'm considering starting a business West of Chicago... My business would supply road salt to contractors. My niche would be that I would have salt located on site for the contractor in a container that protects the salt from the elements, is securable and is able to load up to a 5 cyd dump truck with out the aid of a bobcat or loader. The capacity of the container would vary (to a reasonable degree) depending on the contractors preference and or space limitations of the property. Multiple units on site would also be an option. My service would be responsible for keeping the container filled and at the end of the winter, will buy back the un-used salt (minus a re-stocking fee). There would be no need for tarping, additional piece of equipment or the headache of having to clean up the stock pile at the end of the season. In addition, I'm considering a way of weighing out the salt as it is dispensed into the vehicle. This way contractors can keep tabs on how much salt they apply for customers that require such information or in the event on litigation where documentation may be of benefit to the contractor or the property owner.

What I am looking for is feed back from those that put the salt on the ground !.. the owners ! ... and the managers !... Would you pay for a service like this..? What advantages do you see in a service like this...? Disadvantages..? Any and all input is welcome !
  2. bandacon

bandacon Junior Member

Sounds like a good idea to me. Depending on prices. We only take care of one large business park and only have a shelter that can hold about 10 - 13 tons of salt. Then we have to take the box off the backhoe to load the spreader on the dump. Kind of a pain in the ass. If the prices out weighed the labor / pain in the butt factor it would be worth it. Although I'm not in your area.
  3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Sounds good for a small operator that does not have a loader. But i have to believe that it would raise the price more than the benefit it provides. There is always a supplier open when it snows that will load you. But if it can be priced right it could work
  4. Engineerguy

Engineerguy Junior Member
    from Chicago

My thoughts early on were to supply the smaller contractors that have the 1 ton trucks with spreaders. Since they are smaller trucks, they would have to refill more often. To me that says they have to leave the site, drive some distance to the salt yard and wait on line to get loaded, then drive back. ( Very typical of what I saw in Michigan when I lived there ) I was also thinking that a service like this would allow the "smaller" contractor to do more with less. I'm sure property owners would be thrilled about having salt stored on site in a concrete block bunker with a blue tarp flapping in the wind.. I think what I have in mind would be far more acceptable.

Thanks for the input... Keep it coming !