1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

I'd like some third party advice about this truck.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Glesjw, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Glesjw

Glesjw Junior Member

1994 GMC 3/4 ton, with 160,00 miles.

It doesn't come with a plow on it, but it's only $1000.

I'd like to get something by the end of Summer, and in my eyes, that doesn't look bad, but I am not a mechanic, or someone who knows everything there is to about trucks.

What do you think about it?

2. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I say if it runs as good as the ad says it does, $1000 is a steal. I would want to be able to check it out before hand though to make sure everything else is not junk.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Well, its an older truck, but it looks like a solid truck. Cheezy paint may be hiding something, so check it out closely. The first picture--am I missing something or is the truck missing some parts on the RF corner? If it is, how is it in 'perfect' condition?

I'm assuming 350/automatic... but you'd think someone selling it would specify that.

I'd ask a whole lot more questions (like how much rust does it have, especially underneath?) but for a grand you can't expect much.

You are the only one who can answer if its the right truck for you or not. Do you have mechanical experience at all? You'll be needing it on a 14 year old truck.
  4. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

looks like a good price and all but that camo paint job just doesnt look very professional to me.
  5. truckermatt

truckermatt Junior Member

for the price i say yes....... just make sure you look it over....... ask if the tranny is new... or still original
  6. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

I didn't see anything in the pictures it must be camo'ed well:rolleyes:
  7. Plowfast9957

Plowfast9957 Senior Member

I assume it is 2 wheel drive. It doesnt say 4x4 in the ad and it kinda sits like a 4x2
  8. derekbroerse

I didn't even notice that. Was it posted under the 4wd section? If its a 2wd I wouldn't want it. Be sure to ask!
  9. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

It looks like a 4x4 to me. It has front tow hooks plus usually the 2500 and 3500 4x4 trucks came with the big fender flares. I know that both of these could have been added but I'm still going to say its a 4x4.
  10. derekbroerse

The fender flares were used on the 8-lug hd version of the 2500 whether it was 2wd/4wd.
  11. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I would want to see what is up with the other side of the truck where it is missing parts. There can be alot questionable there with that like was it wrecked, etc?? Get more pics and look at it in person, then let us know on the truck. Dont wanna buy a complete turd, even if it is a grand:nono:
  12. derekbroerse

You would think they would show a pic of the damaged side (if it has one) since when you come to see it/buy it you're not going to not notice!

When I bought the '78 in NY it was an ebay auction, guy talked about newer paint etc. but didn't at all mention (and conveniently didn't show in the pix) that the passenger door was caved in from a hit with a backhoe! Also, the newer paint was over top of a lot of fibreglass and bondo. I bought it anyways rather than make a big fuss (I drove 3 hours with the other dump and trailer and wasn't leaving emptyhanded, AND it was mechanically sound which I needed) but didn't bother leaving him positive feedback on ebay. Shows ya people will try anything!

Now this summer it gets a fresh new body job, made from steel and not bondo!
  13. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I've seen some of the 2wd 2500 8 lug trucks with the stainless steel wheel well trim and not the plastic fender flares.