1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

icy roads + teen driver + speed = wreck

Discussion in 'Weather' started by MSS Mow, Feb 4, 2007.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Last night at about 6:54pm, I was leisurly (SP) surfing this and other boards, when all of a sudden I heard tires squealing very loudly, some loud banging, more tires squealing, a single, very loud bang, and then some more banging.

Well, I jump up, run to the window, and see an SUV upside down IN my driveway. I immediately call 911 :help: while getting shoes and a coat (it was 12 degrees outside). I hung up with dispatch and ran outside. Once outside, there are several (6-8) people in my driveway, phone and cable lines running every where. I was able to confirm no one was left in the vehicle, both teens got out and walked away unhurt!

Well, I look back towards the wreck, and see where the downed lines were coming from. The SUV took out a pole next to my driveway, and the pole landed on my pickup AND my father's car. :realmad: :cry:

So, heres the deal. After the snow storm we got, the roads were still slick in places. The 18 yr old was passing another truck, hit some ice, then proceeded to side swipe the other truck, doing a lot of damage, then while skidding up the road, spun around, hit the pole on the passenger side, and flipped upside down into my driveway. (About a 4 ft drop from road) Narrowly missing my garage, and the pole crashed onto my truck, destroying the bed of my truck and causing a good size dent in my father's car.

Anyway, the good news, no one was seriously injured:) , only perhaps a fractured wrist of the driver.

NOW, my driveway AND lawn are plastered in shattered glass and plastic pieces. To make matters worse, there is several inches of snow on the ground, making it nearly impossible to cleanup.

I just got my cable lines hooked back up, so I'm back online. Now, the fun part, dealing with the Insurance companies.

2. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Teens and driving don't mix well good weather or bad. I had a 19 year old plow into me at a red light I was stopped at because a bug flew in her car and she forgot she was driving a car too busy trying to find that bug. Hit me at 40 mph and she never even hit the brake. Totalled both our cars. The little bit of snow we got Friday night into Saturday I saw a car full of high school kids do a 360 at the intersection down the street from my house and hit the curb hard. I know he did some damage to what is most likely his old mans car because the back tire was wobbling as he was driving away. I thought about following him home but I had some place to be. Just plain stupid.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like a fun night lol. Seriously I am glad to hear that everyone was OK, but it sucks for your truck and your dad's car. That'll be a mess with the insurance company. Ice and speed don't work.

4. AndyTblc

AndyTblc Senior Member

Yah kids these days think they are invincible, I'm 18 years old and when my friends get behind me, they are beeping and honking, and the next day they tell me that I drive so slow, and I tell them, "well there is ice and snow all over the place." And they say that nothing is going to happen. I told them go drive how fast they want when I'm not around, I don't want to get in an accident.

5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I will not ever get in a vehicle with another kid my age, or even slightly older (except one that i know is mature enough) because 99.9% of kids that get their licesenses drive like absolute idiots. I am lucky enough to have a dad that started me driving VERY early in my life and i learned early. Now, i respect the weather and the rules of the road because i know it is the right thing to do.

I have had someone hit me, and dealing with insurance SUCKS, teens insurance bill is high enough, those who actually work to pay for it are the ones who drive safely, the ones with their parents paying for everything are the ones that are going to learn the real hard way.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I started to drive back in 2000, before I could even get my temps. When I did get them, it was winter 01. I was always the driver in the winter because I had the truck and plowed snow already. Plus I know that I am not indestructible and how to handle driving on bad roads, which doesnt mean 800mph. When the roads are bad, I dont even go over 35 mph, even that is kinda fast at times. It is sad when a young person dies or gets hurt real bad permanently over stupidity. Exactly how old are you MCW?

7. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i run a tow truck part time and i always pull the bad ones...night before thanksgiving threes teens (16,17,17) doing about 85 down and back road hit a wet spot on the road hit and curb then a tree and tear the car into two peices (im serious two pieces) 1 dead 1 broken neck and the driver made off best broken bones and they had to remove his spleen i think and they all go to school with my sister and brother and the one who dieds family owns a local landscaping business so at 2 in the morning i have to go out and clean up about 1/2 mile of road and 2 bloody pieces of a car but what you guys are saying its all inexpierience and too much speed

8. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

I did snowplowing when I was a teenager and I never went off the road, never got stuck while traveling (I got stuck my first year of plowing, but it wasn't on the road), never hit another vehicle (yet I've parked at malls and vehicles seemed to have hit me, and then taken off which is the way it is today).

I was sitting at a Wal Mart with my Girlfriend, I was in the passenger seat, and these two fat middle aged couple come out of the store, and the fat ugly middle aged women was driving their truck and said "if I hit the door of that car, who gives a ****", so she does! HARD TOO! Then they started to back up fast, I honked the horn, and my Girlfriend was back at that time as she just got out of the store, anyway, those people took off. My Girlfriend said "two fat people with children... probably at McDonald's"... THEY WERE! We went by the McDonald's in town, and saw them! I saw their plates, it was them! And we pulled up right beside them, and my Girlfriend told them a piece of mind, but that women driving the truck was like "Haven't been to Wal Mart for a few weeks"... bull ****.

Anyway, with teens driving, I do think the majority of reckless drivers are teens, but I know there's teens out there that drive well and responsibly. Saying "teens and driving don't mix" isn't really the way to do it, because that's like putting down all teenaged drivers.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2007
  9. mcwlandscaping

I am 16.....

10. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i started plowing snow for a company at 16 and i have never been in an accident. i think that 75% of teenage drivers are not good. but dont stereotype them all as bad drivers

11. Sydenstricker Landscaping

I am glad to see someone who is a teenager have the common sense not to ride around in a car with a bunch of fools who think they are indestructible. I always thought you were older they way you talk. You seem very mature for your age. Dont worry, I am not downing you for your age or nothing, I am only 20. That is cool you are very mature, although I bet the 16 year old comes out at times:D

12. mcwlandscaping

yes, when appropriate!!!

thank you very much for your kind words!
    i LOVE your truck btw!!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  13. Sydenstricker Landscaping

My 20 year old self pops up at times too. I find myself occasionally doing donuts in an empty parking lot at 3 am. Thanks, I just got er in December. Has been a great truck so far. paid 10,500 with the plow.

14. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I totally agree with you Mike! We have a kid at my HS who has wrecked three $55,000 Escilades, his parents just keep buying him more!:dizzy: The scary part is that 95% of the kids at my HS have cars that are new or nearly new, and nice cars (Mercedez, BMW, Lexus, Volvo, Cadillac, Mustangs, and two Ferraris and four Porches (sp?))! I will be paying for my own truck, and insurance. I live in the 34th wealthiest town in the United States, kids here are SPOILED, and don't know how to work worth a D@&N! Just wait until these kids have to start paying for things themselves...:eek: :cool:

15. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I agree. I'm 18 and have not had one speeding ticket or accident. I drive like an old lady, mostly because I understand the consequences of what can happen. Granted, I do have those smart 18 year old ideas from time to time. Then I look at some of my friends... they all have had at least one or two accidents and a pile of tickets. One friend was on a back road when he was 16 and crashed his car into a stone wall, then a tree, then a telephone pole. The road was snow covered. So what does he do? He gets out of the car and runs into the woods and then home!:nono: He got in a huge amount of trouble. Another friend has had a few fender benders and like 8 tickets in two years. I just don't know what some kids are thinking. I have to say that the majority of the younger people on here seem to have decent heads on their shoulders. Many come to mind. There are a few that I wouldn't get in a car with, but I won't call them out. I think the PITAs and BSers get weeded out, like the kid that owns 150K worth of equipment at age 18, 06Boss or whatever his name is.

16. mcwlandscaping

wow, great deal!! how many miles on her?
    The donuts thing has a positive side though, it lets you know exactly how to handle your vehicle if you did ever loose control for a moment. You know how it will react to certain countermeasures!! yea, and they're fun!!

17. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

the sad thing is that there parents will probly be giving them money all there lives

18. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i am 20 and at times still act like i am 16 but especially when it is snowing i drive slow as hell. 06boss is full of Sh*t no 18 yr old has 150k worth of equiptment unless his daddy bought it for him. i am 20 and i have worked my a$$ off everyday since i got my first job at 14 and am just now starting to get some decent equiptment

19. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yeah, go figure...:dizzy:

20. Sydenstricker Landscaping

It had 85000 when I got it. I have gotten sideways and almost spun on the ice a few times, but since I have goofed around like that, I knew instantly what to do. Dont know if you have ever heard of drifting cars, but I used to do that a couple years ago. I had a little ricey 92 Nissan 240sx that I took to track around here and would go upwards of 80 mph sideways around set-up turns and not even touch a cone. This was on bone dry pavement in 90 degree weather. It really taught me how to control a vehicle under any cirumstance. Only down fall was rear tires, went through 10 sets in a summer!!! But driving all boils down to maturity level and your control. Kids that drive around to show off to their pals are the ones who you see getting trashed and wrapping their car or whatever around a tree or telephone pole. It is mind numbing the amount of deaths each year associated with teenage drivers.