1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Icy conditions?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Ajreeves, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Ajreeves

Ajreeves Junior Member
    from Nh

Hello everyone:
    The past week or so it has been a bit rainy and in the 40s. Each night the temps get down below 32F and where the melting occurs there is run off onto some of the lots we handle. Would you salt these lots each morning? Seems like over-kill to me but I am somewhat new to commercial ice management. My worry is that the customers who pay by the application will complain I am wasting their money but the season contracts I have will expect it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Salt where the run off is

3. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I would check them at least. If they are icy in the AM (they may not be depending on pavement temps, I would salt the areas, by hand if necessary because of their small size.

4. Ajreeves

Ajreeves Junior Member
    from Nh

How would you charge a customer who pays by the application if you are just spot salting?

5. JimMarshall

JimMarshall Senior Member
    from NW PA

I've done it a couple ways, one is to bill for "1/2" of a service, I have billed a full service and only billed every other or every third visit.....

We have a LOT of serviceable events here.... unless this melt/run/freeze thing is happening a ton, I normally just eat it if its not a large area

6. Ajreeves

Ajreeves Junior Member
    from Nh

Thanks Jim