1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

icy conditions truck damage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by supercuts, Dec 23, 2009.

1. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

after 8 years of plowing ive slid around a bit but never had any damage other than a broken mirror (my fault) and a few dings in my bumper. well, after the NE blizzard on dec 20th of "light fluffy snow" i was sliding all over. i went off 3 driveway, hitting 2 trees. ive never had so many problems ever. sucks to be me. its hard to see but the bumper is flattened in the driver side

IMG_1356.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

2. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

one other thought, i will make sure all trucks now have step bars, it saved my whole drivers side!

3. cpsnowremoval

cpsnowremoval Senior Member

last night everything froze up and i was on my way to one of my accounts. i was going down a small hill and slide through a stop sign and the cross traffic dosent stop. got lucky and avoided an accident. it was also around 5:30 so the traffic was pretty heavy
    and a guy rear ended a garbage truck in front of my house

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Put some weight in the bed....it will help

5. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

That sucks. At least you or anyone else wasn't hurt. Another good thing is you can still run your truck and your not down.

6. odd1or2even

odd1or2even Senior Member

I know the feeling. I haven't hit anything with my truck when plowing but this storm my Ford 150 for stuck 4 times, and my GMC2500 for stuck once. The ford took out 2-4 newly planted bushes when it slid just off the side of the drive. Everyone just iced over at about 11pm on Saturday night and it sucked! I ended up having to drive my front end loader a mile to get the truck out cause the other truck couldn't get it.

Surely throw weight in the bed.. salt, cinder blocks, stone.. whatever. More the better as you can always get it out later easily. But I'm glad everyone's alright!

7. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Few years ago I had a lot freeze on me pretty bad then snow about three inches on top of it. I managed to get myself stuck in one part of the lot, took me half hour to get out, not more than two passes later I slid into a good size pile sideways and spent another hour digging out of that one. Getting stuck is no fun and damaging the truck is even worse, atleast you are ok, thats what really matters.

8. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

We are going to get a round of freezing rain come Christmas and Boxing Day. thats always my biggest concern when ya get a layer of ice. Areas and slight grades and slopes that are no problem when you have traction are now challenges. Sorry about your truck.

9. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

i always have weight in my truck. i didnt put as much in as usual because of the way they predicted the forecast. in the future, all the weight i can. i dont run true snow tires and i have a friend who constantly tells me i must. i normally dont have a problem with weight though. live and learn. like everyone says, at least i didnt get hurt and i still had the truck to finish the storm. happened only 3hrs into it with near blizzard conditions still out. im still pissed but even if i pay out of pocket to fix all the damge we still made alot that storm. ill most likely try and buy a new take off white bed with a bumper and tailgate like you see on ebay all the time for $1500. im not in a hurry because money is tight. ive already been joking, if i do get one, ill save the old one way through it on in the winter so i wont have to worry

10. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

this is the new beast im getting ready. its a 95' f350 dually dump with a fuel friendly 460ci 4x4 and an 8' mm1. it only has 60k miles and bit of rot on the drivers fender. it only needs the breaks bled and the exhaust manifold leaks like the rest of them.

WHO CAN GUESS HOW MUCH I JUST PAID FOR THIS???

IMG_1359.jpg

11. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

and the other girl

IMG_1363.jpg

12. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

i'll bite....4g's

13. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

$2k since you seem to be REAL excited about the price!

14. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

You dont even need dedicated snow tires....Just get rid of the stock Conti's...I suggest BF G's AT K/O's myself....You'll love that F-350 it will be a tank believe me....I had an old 94'F-450 2wd 9' Fisher & never got stuck even pulling people out of ditches, secret is about 1,500-2,000 lbs of ballast...Fuel mileage is tough but it's a plowing BEAST

15. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Some insurance companies won't pay a claim if you didn't have proper ballast...Just so you're aware.

16. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

in not going to claim it anyway. i dont want to worry about my rates. ill fix it later

17. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

guess a few more times and ill reviel the truck price

18. supercuts

supercuts Senior Member

no other takers? how much is this truck worth?? rack dump, 4x4, 460, 60k miles, only exhaust manifold leak.

19. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

I'd guess its worth 6-7, and you got it for 3 or 4

20. prostk2

prostk2 Member

My guess is 3,200.00. Hey Supercuts why do you say you hate your Meyer plows? Just wondering