1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

iceoway vbox problems

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by accentlawn, Jan 22, 2008.

1. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

This is a new iceoway vbox, this was only the 2nd event it was used for and it keeps having problems. The first storm it worked great all day and then after 6 loads it acted up. Today it did it on the second load. When you hit the switch to start the spinner the conveyor chain moves an inch at the most and then stops, sort of like it can't get the momentum going to keep it continuously moving or like its blocked, but you can hit the switch and it'll do it again. Does anyone have any ideas whatsoever? Someone told me to check the grounds? Which if it is the grounds can someone explain that, because after I shoveled most of the salt out, I finally thought of swinging open the chute(with the spinner assembly). After I did that it ran fine. Sorry if this is confusing but I'm just about fed up with it. How should I go about figuring this out? Its not like the salt was frozen either.

2. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

3. MnM

MnM Senior Member

sounds like the spinner belt is loose. that happened to my vbox. when i first hit it it would spin like two turns and then just spin inside the belt, the pulley that is. I tensioned the belt and havent had a problem since

4. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

make sure that you don't have a clump wedging itself between the chain and the rear of the hopper

5. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

So like I thought...not a ground issue. Right?

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

check to see if any of the set screws have come loose and dropped the keyway from the shaft on the drive sprockets.

7. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

I'll offer three areas to check. I currently have nine Ice-O-Ways that I oversee, that are part of a larger "fleet". The units have been relatively trouble free and are extremely well built. There are a few things that commonly happen that will frustrate operators, but have simple solutions.

It sounds like its one of three issues. One would be the green wire ground coming out of the control box. I have one unit that the bolt that we secured the ground to, loosened under the dash, and the conveyor worked every so often. Kind of sounds like your issue.

The second issue, which seems to happen on every new Ice-O-Way is the loosening of the set screws, primarily on the upper chain sprocket on the drive shaft. You would know right away if this is the problem, because the upper chain would most likely stop spinning, or if you looked closely at the shaft you would see that the sprocket was loose.

One final thing coming to mind is at your quick connect (automotive connector) between the control box and the spreader, ice could build up in the connector and cause problems. We were doing some PM on our units yesterday and it was 13F out, and I had one unit stuck on choke. Its new this year, went back to the connector and noticed it had a layer of ice in it.

Let us know what you find out.

MnM the unit has two #40 chains and a conveyor. Theres no belts.

Fireball, a shear pin would break if a clump got wedged in there.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Ice o way no longer uses a shear pin. They have gone to a chain as a yeild failure.

Again the most likely would be the set screw on the drive sprocet. Put some lock tite on it when you replace it.

9. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

set screws

With only 13 hours on it, brand new this year with only 2 events to salt this season, both set screws came loose on the drive sprocket and the key came out. The sprocket was turning on the shaft and it would catch on the lip of the keyway letting things work normally. So I assume with a full load the lip of the keyway wasn't enough to keep the sprocket from spinning.

How much wear is allowable on the shaft, because it is worn from sprocket freewheeling? Is this shaft the snout of crankshaft? If thats the case, won't the engine need to be replaced or have an overhaul with a new crank?

I didn't want to take it apart to fix it, in case it is covered under warranty, still waiting to hear back from the dealer on whether or not it will be fixed under warranty. That being said should do you think this should be warrantied? Or is it expected that when you buy a new vbox that your going to remove every set screw and loctite them and then reinstall them?

10. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

So far it's just been a shiny new salt container that causes lots of headaches.

11. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

Its fixed

Bam and basher you guys were right. Thank you everyone for the help. I filed the burs off of the slot for the keyway and put a new keyway in and used locktite with the new set screws. Thank you for all the help.

Now I'll keep an extra keyway and setscrews with me.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Add checking them to your pre-storm check list along with the oil, gas, etc...

I also would carry an extra spark plug.

13. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

Those are definitely going to become part of a prestorm check.