1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

icemelt, salt, sand/salt mix?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by IA snoman, Jan 2, 2005.

1. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

I have heard different products used for spreading in lots, and driveways. I have picked up a property that wants the lot treated but I don't know what to use. I hear people use "salt", What kind of salt? I assume you are not talking about icemelt, and where do I find some. Don't have a H.D. or a Lowe's here Just Walmart Kmart and Menards. Thanx guys :salute:
  2. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I just came from Des Moines and looks like sand is the treatment of choice there.
    I couldn't tell if any salt was used where I had been, pavement didn't look white, but there was a lot of sand spread.

Menards should carry rock salt in bags I would guess.

Good luck,
    Mark K
  3. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Thanks neighbor! Bought some salt earlier today. Looks like you are in for some ice. I think we will get some but nothing compaired to you. Sounds like there is snow on the way KCCi is saying considerable accumulation, but its too early to predict amounts. Good luck and have fun :waving: :drinkup: payup
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

The Menards near me carries a product called endice. From what I've heard, it works pretty well.
  5. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

We picked up some #4 rocksalt in 50 lb. bags for less than $4.00 a bag.
    Got it at the local feed store, where I buy my dog food.

I didn't think the price was too bad.

Sounds like some snow on the way,
    Mark K
  6. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

We use a product called "Ice Slicer." I get it in bulk at the local landscape yard. Its really great stuff and works better then salt or ice melt. It looks like sand but it dissolves in the snow and leaves no trace. I don't hear much about it on this board, but the Colorado DOT us using it this year on the Highways. You might ask around and see if anyone has it. Tim
  7. zipp669

zipp669 Junior Member

Where in Winterset carries rock salt? My guy in Adair just got rid of his about a month ago and will not get any in soon.
    I get my Ice Melt at Commercial Bag across from Old Colonial Bakery in DSM. It works great!
  8. grubenator

grubenator Junior Member
    from wi,mn

hey there i buy my salt from menards go to the building materals dept ask for the manager of the store tell him you are a local snow removal business and ask for a pallet, if you buy a pallet you should get it at a discounted price, at least thats what they do for us
  9. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

We got it at C & C Feeds on the north side of town. Its #4 and is pretty fine grained stuff. They may be able to get larger grain salt too, I'll ask next time I'm in there.

Let me know if you need a #.

Mark K
  10. Mowey9

Mowey9 Member
    from Iowa

Hey Grotecguy could I get a little more info on that place. Where is it at, number, etc.
  11. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

C and C Feeds 462-1265. Just north of the 4 way stop on the north side of Winterset. Hwy 169 comes in from the north,it's just south of the car dealers and just north of the Hardees. They have a big horse statue in their parking lot.

The salt is pretty fine granuals,#4 on the bags. Seems like it spread pretty good, havent been out yet to see how well it works yet. They may be able to order some larger grain salt too. My plow partner Dana was in there yesterday, he's the one who picked it up.

Let me know if I can help,
    Mark K