1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Icebreaker V Box Conveyor Chain Replacement

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rcnease, Jan 8, 2015.

1. rcnease

rcnease Member

Ok, so I was out Tuesday in what should have been an easy salt event and ended up in a nightmare. The first major issue is the conveyor chain on my icebreaker v box spreader broke on both sides of the chain. I have been told they aren't that bad to replace by some and some have said they are a bear to replace. It seems to be that since it is broken on both sides that if I take the box out of the truck (I am using a utility body and really hard to work around with almost no room) that it will pretty much fall off the front sprocket (up near the cab of the truck) and then I am not sure what all I need to do from there.

The question is can anyone tell me how to properly replace this? I have a chain. I just not 100% sure everything I need to do. It seems pretty simple but I am not sure if there are little things that I might leave out. Also how tight should I make the new chain for the first use?

thanks in advance.

2. LON

LON Senior Member

You have to make sure the chain is in the correct way, with the drive gears pulling against the back side of the link.
    What I do is take the adjusters most of the way out, push the idler assembly as deep into the groove as it'll go and then take maybe 2 links off the chain so that I have as much idler adjustment as I can possibly have. This way by the time I am at the end of the adjustment it is time to change the chain anyway verses having to take it apart in a couple of years to take links out then.

page 10 for proper tension - http://library.fisherplows.com/pdfs/80357_040298.pdf