1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice Waiver

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by hhscontracting, Nov 23, 2015.

1. hhscontracting

hhscontracting Junior Member

Up here in Alberta, Canada we are finding more and more customers want to decline the use of ice control products. Some decline based on cost, some for environmental reasons, etc.

We are looking to have these clients sign a ice waiver. Essentially, if they decline ice control, they give up any right to hold us responsible for slip and falls, etc.

Does anyone have an example of such a waiver they would be willing to share?

2. rbljack

rbljack Member
    from Texas

subscribing to this..looking for examples as well.

3. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Subscribed.

4. J.onathan

J.onathan Junior Member

In 4 comments.

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Who is giving up "the right to hold you responsible", the property owner or the person who is injured and their liar?

6. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

I had to run thru this issue a few years back when we had the so called shortage and salt prices nearly tripled over night... I sent out a email explaining I needed to increase the salt price on each application... one customer replied saying they do not want anymore salt layed after a plow and would call for it... I sent them a reply with a waiver to sign that they would assume responsibility for a slip and fall because we aren't salting after each plow... I also explained that my insurance Co requests that all properties get salt or there's no insurance on my side if something was to happen... they replied with carry on as normal sorry for the confusion! Lol.. not sure how everyone else's insurance works but all my properties are listed on my insurance records..

7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I would just add the clause in your contract.In the specs explain that you are providing plowing service at time of snowfall and at owners request no traction aids or salting is to be provided.Owner assumes all liability for any slips and falls.You do not provide site checks after initial plowing,unless requested by owner. It worked for me,dodged a 200k lawsuit for a slip and fall.Don't marry the lot,just a one night stand!

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

In most jurisdictions the wavier isn't worth the paper you use to create it if your wish to stop lawsuits. No one can sign away their right to sue. The victim of the slip and fall has signed no wavier. The wavier if properly written may help you in the courts but it won't keep you out of them.