1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice Storms

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Clapper&Company, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Just wanted to see, what every one dose for Ice Storms !!

2. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

salt and more salt
    we have in our contracts that an ice storm is different than a snow storm and therefor there is different pricing. still send 3 trucks out to the sites to cover everything. it pretty much like snow but i get a little more concerned with the ice.. what about everyone else........????????

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Kinda what we do, we just dump the salt.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I bring my skates and do a few laps around the mall. It beats going to the gym. There's no sense getting excited about a little ice, it will be spring soon.:D

5. madmaxxxx

madmaxxxx Member

Since this is dealing with ice storms. We had a couple of ice storms here early in December and we salted pretty heavily to deal with this. Now the bills are due and customers are complaining. Does the 500 lb /acre norm still hold true for ice storms? We had some retail lots that we dumped more then that and now the customer doesnt want to pay that much. How do others deal with the ice??? more then normal salt? Some of the lots we had to dump more like double that amount.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It depends how thick the ice is but we have spread salt in the 1000 lb +/acre range. Not all in one application though, generally I just keep doing my route untill the ice is gone.

7. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

CUSTOMER NEEDS TO BE AWARE OF THE TEMPERATURE FACTOR IN THE EFFECTIVENESS OF ICE MELTING.........PEOPLE ASSUME THAT SALT WILL MELT AT ANY TEMP WELL THERE WRONG !!!!!! ALSO I TELL THEM HOW MUCH CHEAPER IS TO SALT THE SH%^ OUTTA THERE LOT VERSUS A SLIP FALL SUIT:nod::drinkup:

8. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

we salted our roads at our normal rates, just more applications

9. Our liquid truck just went out to pretreat for tomorrows storm where we will get 1-2" and then FR and then sleet/rain. It looks like the same scenario as the first 2 storms we had this year in Albany. Those storms we pretreated with liquid and used no salt until after it was over and then just spot treated with treated. Those who did not pretreat used lots of material.. Hopefully this will be the same storm.

10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I went through 12,500 lbs. for the very first ice storm we had. The second storm was a little less, but not by much. Havent really gotten any complaints.....which is very surprising!:rolleyes: