1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice storm

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Got Grass?, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Hmm. Wonder if ya can spread Magic with a crop duster?
    No really. I dont currently salt. Just wondering what you guys do when there is a major ice storm? and no I'm not looking for answers like "we just keep spreading the salt" cuz eventually it does run out.

I know this isnt the only area getitng hit. So how how are you guys dealing?
    It's bad here power outages, trees down, roads blocked, fires everywhere, transformers blowing up. State of emergency and driving bans for my town and county. Highways are giving up salting for sawing up and removing trees from the roads. Or just salt thier way to the trees.

Now thay are expecting 55+mph wind gusts, today.

Good thing for homeowners as part of our tree just fell on our neighbors truck and who knows what our roof looks like cuz I heard some pretty good crashes and felt some thumps.

I'm sure this is nothing compared to the big sorm in the NE a few years back but its not a small event either.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2002
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Can't answer you're question, but sounds like you're dealing with a slightly smaller version of what we got a few years ago. I just got back from checking my accounts. Haven't hit the 3" trigger anywhere, but now it's freezing rain. Guess I'll just sit by the phone for those that call wanting sanded or plowed anyway.

Weatherbug had cancelled an Alert for this area and then reinstated it about 4:00AM while I was there. I guess I better check the Weather Channel to see if it's headed my way.

---------

Yep, headed this way.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2002
  3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

talk about lucky.

Thought I was about to have a heat attack a few mins ago.
    Branches falling everywhere. I heard a snap then extremely loud bang and felt it. That horrible sound a tree makes when it hits the house.
    Thought it went in the room my 10month old daughter is sleeping in. THANK GOD it missed by some feet and went 2ft into our back porch roof.
    It's about 4-5 inch dim. branch. Dont think I've ever been so scared before in my life. My heart is still pounding.

This is what's happening here with no wind. I cant imagine what today is going to be like when thay kick up to 50+mph gusts.

I'm really scared.
    Going up to check the attic for branches thay may have replanted themselves.

I'll flood you guys with pictures when it's light out.

4. Mick

from Maine

When you get power, let us know how it's going. Hope your daughter and every one else is ok. I'm guessing you lost power and haven't been able to post all day.

5. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I'm back

First off everyone is allright. A couple people did die in this storm. Mainly when trees fell on them.

The power did go out soon after I posted that. Power came back on today and cable tonight. Phones went back on sometime Fri. night.
    Some people are expected to be w/o power untill sometime later this week. So many outages, I've seen power authority trucks from as far away New York City and long island, Albany, you name it. Replacing downed lines, poles and blown up transformers.
    Watching a transformer blow up/explode and start the pole on fire is an amazing sight. Makes you relize how much electricity really flows in them. Scarey sight.

Unfortunatly I dont have many pictures, as I couldnt delete the old ones off the camera or charge the battery w/ the power out.

When the winds picked up the temps went up also. It almost made 50degrees for an hr. then droped right back down.

At one point there was a Winter storm warning, Flood warning, Ice warning, High wind Warning, state of emergency and driving ban.

I'm actually quite lucky as a lot of people had trees go down on thier houses, cars, pools, etc...

Here are some pic's from our neighbor and our houses.

6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

This one went down right where i normally pack my truck. I moved it before i took the pic, and luckaly I didnt park there that night.

00_00015_1.jpg

7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

house

Corner of the house... Notice the roof separated from the eve.

00_00010_4.jpg

8. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Tree.

The one that scared me. Luckaly it ended up in the back porch. And to think we were going to rebuild the porch last year.

00_00019.jpg

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

road

One of the reasons our power went out.

00_00014_3.jpg

10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Neighbor

The one in the front landed on our neighbors C1500 standard cab short box. Now the Hood, Grill, both front panels, lights, bumper, mirrors, window rain guards, wipers are going to have to be replaced, the bed, sides, tailgate, roof all have dents. The doors will have to be repainted. Amazingly no broken windows. Not sure about the engine yet, It runs but no way the hood is opening.
    BTW: Thay left today for FL. on vacation. the truck is in the garage and the car is at the airport.

00_00011_3.jpg

11. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Just thought this one looks cool.

:)

00_00013_3.jpg

12. Mick

from Maine

Got Grass? - Welcome back. Glad everyone is OK. Looks awful familiar to what we had about four years ago. How did you get by without heat? We were ok for about three days - then went and bought a wood stove.

13. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

It does look a lot like Ice Storm 98.

Geoff

14. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Main thing I'm happy to hear is that you're all OK.

That ice can be powerful stuff. Before I saw this thread, I was reading a chapter of the book "Fate Is The Hunter", in that chapter the DC-2 that the author is co-piloting encounters airframe icing that is almost enough to bring the plane down.

15. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Yeah, it sucked w/o heat It got down to about 52 in the house. downstairs we had the fireplace going constantly so that helped a bit. Lots of clothes and blankets.
    All the main power is back on now the only things left are a few houses and tons of low wires. Saw some trucks today from NJ, CT, PA & Canada.

Called the insurance co. today and thay are going to pay for everything -$200 deductable. :D Including our neighbors truck and clean up costs. So thay want us to get an estimate from a local "landscaper" for removing the falen limbs and brush. Thay are going to cover everything except broken/dead branches still hanging.

Anyone in the are wanna give me a quote, as I suppose thay wont let me quote myself. ;) ;)