1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice storm tonight - pre treat ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jrblawncare, Jan 24, 2004.

1. jrblawncare

jrblawncare Senior Member

Have you had much luck pre treating with salt before an ice storm? We will be having one tonight in central KY. Thanks

They say up to 1/2 inch or more !! Hope its not like last years...No power for 6 days.
  2. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

yes definately, last week we had ice and i treated most of my accounts except for one restaurant, didnt want to spend the money just incase it didnt happen. we got done at 1am and i didnt think it was worth it. i went there at 8am to eat and he asked if i could salt it right away, it was like an ice skating rink. my other lots were all wet, so yes , pretreating works before ice.
  3. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

I would suggest that your "pre-treatment" occur as the storm begins and you see accutually parcipitaion, otherwise if you pre-treat to early:

1. Vehical traffic, etc can carry your treatment product, and have a half effective treatment

2. The storm could end up to be nothing and you just wasted time and salt on a customers property....they won't be happy with the bill.
  4. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

We do the same thing, watch the radar, then when it starts to hit the deck we mobilize. Many of the neighborghoods we do have doctors who are on call, so they seldom fuss. The brine layer makes moving it a lot easier later.

The most recent models show ice south of I70.