1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice storm coming at 9 0clock pre salt or not

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by WHITESLAWNCARE, Feb 1, 2008.

1. WHITESLAWNCARE

WHITESLAWNCARE Junior Member
    from ny

we have an ice storm on its way for to day, sleet- freezing rain to rain high of 35 if were lucky. Should I salt before it comes to be ahead of the game then re-apply when needed or just wait it out, all commercial buildings and a rescue squad for the town.

2. zappalawn

zappalawn Member
    from pgh

if its anything like i just delt with in pgh pa its gonna rain snow sleet all in one i tried to tried at the beginning of the storm but the rain was more than the snow and the salt was disolving as it was going down. i had to plow 2 lots because of so much slush. have fun

3. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

This morning I layed down salt on my commercials before it started to freezing rain. It was 29-30 when it started. Its coming down though I might need to go out again, really dont want to.

4. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

Freezing rain out now ...here in Orange County NY

5. WHITESLAWNCARE

from ny

I think I'm gonna hit them as soon as i see the first drop of precip. iv tried to salt before once and did not think i got good results, I'm new to salting last year and have not had to much time to experiment. Thanks for the input :salute:

6. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

From what I've been hearing, it's going to be nasty out, so A)how many accts do you have, and B) how far away are they from each other?

If you have a lot of accts, and/or they are a good distance away, you might want to pre-salt so that the roads do not become slick while you are trying to get there. If you only have a couple, or they are very close together, you might want to wait.

Drive safe, and watch out for the morons that think that they can do 70 just because they have a SUV!!!

Evan

7. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Don't do it! :nono:

Global Warming...it won't snow anymore! :eek:

8. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

I honestly can't stand freezing rain ice. I had a horrid day.

9. WHITESLAWNCARE

from ny

ya that storm sucked i salted three times. It was just an absolute mess then chased around slush for about four hours. Ice storms are the worst

10. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Ice Storms Suck????

Maybe I am missing something. ICE STORMS SUCK??????

Lets see, Salt is the highest profit margin, lowest labor out put, and least wear and tear on the equipment.

If I could I could sell all my plows and buy a couple more salt truck and burn every once of precp. in the winter, I would be in heaven.

On the other hand the only people I ever hear moaning about salt are those that give it away as part of a seasonal contract. Just like the guys that do not add a blizzard clause, or max snowfall for a season, and then moan about hight rate snowfall and how they get screwed.

If not for salt I would not be working the winter at all. I have not one PLOW ONLY accounts. I actually seek out ZERO TOLERANCE accounts as they are the ones with the highest demand for service therefore, the highest reward in $$$$$$payuppayuppayup

Funny seeing this topic on the ICE MANAGEMENT forum.

Ron G.

11. WHITESLAWNCARE

from ny

well this is my second reply but dosent seem to stay up there i don't know why. salting is all extra for me and as for zero tolerance all my contracts are . i did not say that i didn't make money salting nor am i giving it away by any means. I did say that i did not care for ice storms. I'm sure not many like them but they are profitable so take it easy there 4evergreen

don't implie something that u are not sure of thanks. WHITE'S

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008