1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice Storm Chicago ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Vaughn Schultz, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Hazardous Weather Outlook

National Weather Service Chicago Il
    930 Am Cst Sat Jan 1 2005

Winnebago-boone-mchenry-lake Il-ogle-lee-de Kalb-kane-du Page-cook-
    La Salle-kendall-grundy-will-kankakee-livingston-iroquois-ford-
    Lake In-porter-newton-jasper-benton-
    930 Am Cst Sat Jan 1 2005

This Portion Of The Hazardous Weather Outlook Is For North Central
    And Northeast Illinois...and Northwest Indiana.

.day One... Today And Tonight

Isolated Thunderstorms Are Possible Over The Area Mainly After
    Midnight.

.days Two Through Seven... Sunday Through Friday

Several Systems Are Forecast To Spread Precipitation Into The
    Area Through Wednesday. Persons Planning Travel Monday Into
    Wednesday Should Monitor The Progress Of This Situation...as There Is A Potential For This To Develop Into A significant Freezing Rain Event And Eventually Snow Across Portions Of Northern Illinois Into Far Northwest Indiana.

2. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

should we get ready

are we going to salt or what

3. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Yea Im all ready. But all this rain should equall 10 inches of snow!

4. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

It may be on it's way...

Just this morning, here west of the twin cities metro, we got a nice mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain... So far, nothing to push, but I'm sure the spreaders are out in force right now. "THEY" are predicting 1/4" to 1/2" of ice is on it's way for later this evening... Oh boy. :mad:

5. Vaughn Schultz

I am taking salt inventory right now probably go out to buy some more . even if we do not use it mon, I will need it by the end of the year (hopefully)

6. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

They are calling for freezing rain in the Detroit area overnight...

7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

We were supposed to get ice as well and it didn't get cold enough. :(

8. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

We got somewhere around 1/4 inch of ice on Saturday morning. Roads were terrible around town.

The temps rising now and foggy as all get out.

Sure wish it would have been some snow,
    Mark K

9. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

Yeah, we got some ice up here as well then it warmed up and started to rain and then it started to freeze again. Don't have much for salt/sand accts. but some. got to make a little jingle today. Can't find icemelt anywhere, except for the real expensive stuff

10. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Well come on up guys...we just got 5", and might be some more on the way. Will wait till morning to head out as nothing really needs to be open for tomorrow.

Buck

11. Triton Snow Systems

Triton Snow Systems Banned

ice storm

I'll be loading up on salt for the next five days .

12. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

i tell yea it was slicker than heck here this morning :waving:

13. ultimate plow

from N. IL

It was a little icee out last night. But no point to salting because temps are susposed to reach mid 50s today. but I will be loading up on salt today or tomorrow morning. Susposed to get freezing rain tomorrow and snow showers wed and thur.

14. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

Sounds like the same forecast for here...

I was just out running around a bit ago and just missed the state treating the highway. The road was still wet, must have missed by 5 minutes or so.

Patiently waiting for snow,
    Mark K

15. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

yeah same here i have to run out tomorrow morning and pick up a pallet jsut got my pro-flo hooked up with 60 degree weather we ahve been having all i have to say is let it snow or ice salt = money too.

16. Vaughn Schultz

Hey boys,
    looks like we might plow tuesday night :drinkup:

17. ultimate plow

from N. IL

Whats the forcast grassbusters? DID I HEAR THE WORD PLOW? Well dont get to excited cause you know how these guys are.

18. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

Would be nice, but I am getting bored with all these weather guesses from the experts at "weather central ! " and getting all our hopes up for nothing. I wonder if the weather guessers have any idea how much it costs you guys to buy extra salt or other equipment when they predict an unexpected storm that never materializes. I mean, if you know you are running low on salt and plan to buy at a good price , then a false alarm prediction comes in, you guys have to rush out and buy stuff at a premium, increasing your costs, then the storm doesn't pan out. This costs time, money, and no sales per say.

Didn't cost me a penny 'cause I'm a little guy, but I still get worked up for a little snow storm that put 24+ inches about 20 miles east of me, but they still said we would get 6-10 , we only got about 1".
    I feel for you guys who put food on the table this way!

Sorry for the rant. :mad:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005
  19. Vaughn Schultz

**Winter Weather Advisory**

from http://www.crh.noaa.gov/showsigwx.p...1=Naperville&product1=WINTER+WEATHER+ADVISORY

"RAIN SHUD BE CHANGING TO SNOW ACROSS THE NORTH LT MONDAY NIGHT AS HIGH PRESSURE TRIES TO BUILD INTO THE LAKES REGION. THE THREAT OF PCPN IS MUCH LOWER TUESDAY AND MAY EVEN BE REMOVED UNTIL ANOTHER WAVE KICKS OUT OF THE SRN PLAINS TUESDAY NIGHT AND INTO THE OHIO VALLEY. WITH 850 LOW MOVING NE ACROSS STL...PULLING ZERO ISOTHERM SWD ...CUD SEE SOME DECENT SNOW ON WEDNESDAY...CERTAINLY MORE THAN A COUPLE INCHES. " :redbounce

From accuweather http://wwwa.accuweather.com/adcbin/...code=60540&partner=accuweather&citystateReq=0

20. ultimate plow

from N. IL

Looks like we will be salting tomorrow morning and mayby monday night. Then mayby plow on tuesday night!