1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ice slicer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jimmyhank, Dec 21, 2010.

1. jimmyhank

jimmyhank Junior Member

anyone working with the product called Ice Slicer?

2. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Snow Slicer?? By Central?

3. JeffY

JeffY Junior Member

I think it's trademark name is Ice Slicer. I've used it for several seasons and found it to be really effective. Cuts down usage by nearly 66% on some properties allowing me to treat more properties without stopping for reloading.

4. timsjeep

timsjeep Senior Member

Great product, been using it for about 7-8 years now. Wont use anything else. Same idea, different supplier, is called Rapid Thaw. Works well, but not as good as Ice Slicer.
    Funny that we don't hear more about it on this site.

5. ACA

ACA Junior Member
    from Midwest

Just got another 50 tons delivered today. Great product. Melts down to 0 degrees, and spreads at a 1/3 of the rate of salt. So your truck is out 3 times longer without coming back to reload. That's is almost all we run on our properties, but we sell mostly salt to other contractors. I think the per ton price gives people sticker shock, and they stop listening then. I think it balances out well against salt.

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

What is it treated with and a rough cost?

7. ACA

ACA Junior Member
    from Midwest

It isn't "treated" with anything, though it does have anti-caking and anti-freezing agents added in. It's a naturally mined product. We wholesale it for $250/yard.

You can check out www.iceslicer.com for more info.

8. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

MSDS? Percentages?

9. ForestEdgeSnow

ForestEdgeSnow Senior Member

10. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I've been using it for years also. It must be a western US thing. Last I checked, it was being mined in Utah. Shipping costs must make it too expensive to get it further away.

I've had running water in parking lots down to -3. It's amazing stuff.

11. JeffY

JeffY Junior Member

And what makes it even more amazing is that if you apply 800-1000 lbs per acre with salt, you're getting this by applying between 300-450 lbs per acre. Less product use and still better results.

12. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

$250/ yard of this stuff? I know with bulk salt a yard is a little over a ton. and after hauling charges I pay about $25 per ton for bulk salt. So this stuff costs 10 times the amount and goes 3 times as far? I understand you don't have to refill as often, but is it worth the cost? Do you charge more for it?

13. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

I would certainly like the number for your supplier

14. Cmbrsum

Cmbrsum Senior Member

I live in Ogden Utah. GSL (Big salt miner) is only 15 miles away. Cost a little over 21 per ton plus a few bucks to a friend to haul it here for me. 18 tons $450

15. ACA

ACA Junior Member
    from Midwest

I said we wholesale it to other people at $250/yard, that isn't what I buy it in bulk for. You are buying bulk salt for a amazing price, I don't get it at that price. I'm not going to get into all my pricing online here, but it pretty well works out to be a wash with salt.

16. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

We get rapid thaw @ $118/ton.

Chit works wonders...

17. ACA L&L

ACA L&L Senior Member

Farmington NM $105 a Ton for ice slicer picked up
    Super sacks 2300 lbs $250
    50 bags of crushed ice slicer $370

pick up yourself, shipping is $1700 for a 150 mile 18 super sacks.

great stuff, spreads nice and as some staying power, its mined out of Utah, from the ground to the truck, to your truck.

18. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

You can say that again...