1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice on gravel lot

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by just plow it, Jan 9, 2014.

1. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

I recieved a phone call today from a company who has a gravel lot. Approx 5-8 acres that is covered in about 3 inches of ice. The company rents cranes and arial construction equipment and this is their yard; so getting it plowed before becoming packed down is impossable. He called me and was wondering what he could do to prevent the slipperiness of the lot because today they had a employee fall on the ice and is now is concerned about how to protect others. I gave him some options like salt but with that much ice I don't think salt will work. I also mentioned the use of sand or gravel but he is concerned that every time they plow they would just push it off not to mention the fact the piles are froze and it would be big chunks.
    I believe I have seen a set up for a payloader that attaches to the bucket and has carbite teeth that scrape the ice to roughin it up but I cant seem to find it anywere online. Does anyone have any sugestions that could help his issue. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

3. PLOWTRUCK

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

We do a few lots with gravel. At this point you are right, that much ice would require tons and tons of salt unless you get a bunch of 40 degree days in a row. The best bet is to sand the lot at this point. Unfortunately it is difficult to keep gravel lots cleared of ice but it seems like they let it go a little to long before they did something.

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Being gravel one of these would work.....

dozer.jpg

5. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

Haha. That would work and that may be what they end up useing.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

There was a slight level of sarcasm with that suggestion but on the flipside given the description of the business there maybe a excavating outfit close by......