1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ice melting products

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by oakvillerex, Nov 6, 2008.

1. oakvillerex

oakvillerex Member

Hey Guys,
    I have come up to a dilema and I am looking to the plowsite comune to find the answer. I have had over the years more and more churches and other very good contracts at which the property manager has asked that we not use salt on the walks because of the tracking issues. My dilema is that there is so many products on the market this year I don't know which one to use. I have used the landscapers choice with CMA and liked it, but there is other products that say they use less and work better.

So guys, You tell me what you use I want to hear.

Thanks
    Jeff Salt

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Educate Educate your customers. Everything tracks, there are just better ways of using products to get the results.

• the number 1 way is to heat the sidewalks thermally - but this is way expensive and you would be out of a job
    • you can add liquids to your diet, just make sure to understand application rates and temperature maximums
    • salt sparingly, after the sidewalk has been cleared using a paddle blower or power brush
    • lastly the customer needs to install 6-12' of walk-off carpet

3. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

I'll be using KCl this go round. Was quoted $474.50 for a pallet from Tractor Supply. I still have to do a little more shopping around though. Supposedly it doesn't track much.

4. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

Landscapers Choice is rock salt with less than 1% CMA.

KCL goes for approximately $25.00 - 35.00 per bag, so if your pallet only has 15-20 bags on it, then the price is correct or you are not getting straight KCL.