1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ice melting products

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by rmartin, Dec 7, 2004.

1. rmartin

rmartin Member
    from mass

I recently went to lesco to pick up some of my salt when I saw they are now selling liquid ice melt. You put it in a pump sprayer and spray it on driveways,sidewalks and parking lots. It says it treats up to 3'' of ice and snow. Has anyone used is and does it work?

2. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

rmartin-ice melt

We are going to try the lesco product on the next significant storm. We will post the preformance results in this forum. Plow on.

3. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

You put it in a pump sprayer and spray it on driveways,sidewalks and parking lots

If you are doing one driveway or 1 small walkway no big deal, but if you intend on spraying alot of area (like stairs and patio's on a college campus like I thought I was going to do) using a pump sprayer you are going to be disapointed. I tried liguid ice melt last year and it works great, but I found out real fast that a pump sprayer is not the right tool that I needed to put the product out. I am going to need to purchase a spray rig for the amount of area that I need to treat. I went back to granular material for now until I can build in the budget at least a 100 gallon engine driven spray tank for the truck.

4. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

ice melt.

We plan to apply the product in an 100 gallon spray rig, through a JD 9 spray gun. The product calls for 1 gallon per 1000 sq. ft. I am guessing at 70 to 80 psi as they call for a mist application.

5. DuallyVette

DuallyVette Member

On another forum, someone said they paid $7.50 per gallon for Lesco's ice block. Lesco's web site says its $75.00 for 5 gal. They told me $ 55.00 for 5 gal. What do you guys pay ?

6. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

liquid

I tried a liquid melter last year. Bought 25 gals of product in 5 gal containers and a back-pack pump sprayer. I pumped 5 gal on a section of sidewalk and gave up. Went back to dry material. I have been told that there is a big time factor involved for liquid use.I'm trying some "Magic Salt" this year to compare to the Calcium Clorid Flakes that I used in the past.

Gene

7. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Though it seems like a "novel" idea, the means to which it is applied makes all the difference. For instance, spraying with a backpack is just impracticle. If large areas were being done, and a truck sprayer was being utilized, it would be different. (Even then a cost factor comes into play). Just think of it this way...what if we had been using liquid all along...then suddenly someone introduced this new, state of the art, breakthrough product. An ice-melter that you can actually put down in a dry, pelletized form. This would be the next best thing to sliced bread. It would be easy to transport, easy to spread, no mixing, and easy to regulate. Well, .....we already have it. Sometimes different isn't always better,- especially when it comes to being more practicle.