1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice melting products

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by William Brett, Sep 9, 2010.

1. William Brett

William Brett Member

Hi all I am sure I have seen this on here but am unable to find it, how much ice/snow will differnt products melt per kg etc

Na Cl

Mg Cl

Ca Cl

etc...

Cheers in advance

Will

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

You can't find it because it doesn't exist. Pavement temps, sun, traffic, etc will affect how quickly ice melts with any given product.

3. William Brett

William Brett Member

Fair comment but is there no general guidence?

4. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Last winter I seen a chart listing for salt. It had how many pounds of ice at certain temps it will melt. If I run accross it I will post it for you. I know they do exist.

5. wizardsr

200lbs/acre of straight salt (sodium chloride) at 30 degrees...
    1200lbs sodium mixed with 200lbs calcium pellets/acre at -10 degrees with no sun...
    We don't "spread" mag pellets, as calcium is the same price and works way better, but do use it for pre-wet on bulk salt, but prefer clearlane as it's easier and seems to work better than pre-wetting.

No salt at 30 degrees in the sun, lots and lots at -10 in the shade.
    Traffic helps break it up and work the salt around, so less is needed on traffic lanes in warmer conditions. On the flip side, traffic can make more of a mess in some conditions by packing the snow down, resulting in more product use in the traffic lanes when it doesn't scrape up...

Waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too many variables, you just have to figure out what works. Not sure what you're looking for in terms of how much calcium and mag chloride can melt, most only use it on sidewalks, or to enhance the effectiveness of sodium on parking lots. To spread straight mag or calcium on lots would be throwing money out the window.

6. Kubota 8540

I know there is such a chart listing the # of pounds of ice that 1 pound of salt will melt at different temps. Also have seen them for different chemicals. Here is one for salt!
    m971202a.gif

m971202a.gif

7. wizardsr

I don't want to discredit you, and I'm sure that those figures are accurate in a lab. However in the real world, there are far too many variables. I hate to see the OP underbid something or under-service a property based on a lab test and be in for a real surprise when he has to put down twice as much material as he expected without being able to charge more.

8. Kubota 8540

Not my info, just the Salt Intitute.org info. He asked for info as to how much the different salts would melt. That info I had seen before. If he had asked for help for qoutes, I wouldn't have chimed in. I am not familiar with Bridgwater - UK winters. I assume they are different than Illinois winters.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  9. William Brett

William Brett Member

Cheers Kubota thats the kind of thing I was after more of a reference than anything to compare products.

Well over here we rarely get more than 2 inches last year was a very bad winter with 3 6 inch storms.

Cheers

Will

10. William Brett

William Brett Member

Well winter is now approaching over the pond here, am hoping it is going to be a hard one. my question is this, over here as soon as it gets cold people start panic buying salt and then no one can get hold of any, I dont have the facility to store huge amounts of product so im thinking i can get hold of calcium chloride at £17.63/ 25kg bag and mag chloride at 10.56/25kg bag, now how much sand would I need to put with it to reduce its melting properties to the same as rock salt.

My thinking is that if I can provide a ice melting product which is used at the same rate as salt when no one can get salt over here i am in the money payup what are your thoughts?

11. Kubota 8540

Beautiful day for getting ready for winter here. 76F and Sunny, just put away 22 ton of bulk salt. I'm not sure if mixing salt/sand ratio is the same as calcium chloride/sand mix would be. But I use once in a while a 75 % salt / 25 % sand mix? I think I'm one of the few that mixes that much salt in the mix. 50% / 50%?

12. William Brett

William Brett Member

Hi Kubota cheers for the reply im sure I have read here that 50/50 is ok wont melt snow so fast but provides more traction. Im thinking as calcium chloride and that are more efective sumthing like 2/1 or even 3/1, If i can do this I can make some serious money this winter when no one can get salt.

By the way not to sure on your new pic think it would clear even less snow than me agria 3600 with 3ft blade:laughing: