1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice Melter?????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bluegrass Lawn Service, Dec 15, 2000.

1. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service Junior Member

I haven't seen any post on what kind of ice melter is the best for the money. I read about magic salt and some others. right now I'm using Professional Ice Melter from Spring Valley Wi. Sold by Indiana seed company. I'm buying it at about /$7.50 per 50lb bag. I would like to know what you guys use and what prices I can get it at. I just ordered a ton and a half but it won't last long. The product I'm using is suppose to be safe to lawn and shrubs. I don't want to kill anything. Thanks for your advise.

2. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

Right now we're using Ice Melter from Sam's, was around $ 5, per 50 lb bag, is a blend of calcium cloride & magnism cloride. the price was right and we don't do hardly any ice control unless requested. Used the product 2X so far seems to work well.

3. Hometown Landscaping

Hometown Landscaping Junior Member

I don't even know the name of the salt that i use but i get it at angelos in MI it cost about a $100 dollers for a palet of 50lb bags i am not shure how many are on the palet.

4. Samurai WeedWacker

Samurai WeedWacker Junior Member

Ice melter made from barley?!

Heard tell of stuff made from barley which, when spread on sidewalks, keeps snow melted. Sounds questionable to me. Anybody heard about it?

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Havn't heard of that stuff, but the Ice Melt I'm using right now is running me about $3 a bag. Basically just rock salt. I'd really like to find a place around here that has Magic though...

-Tim

6. jrblawncare

jrblawncare Senior Member

Mike B,I'm using the same suff you are and the price is about the same,potassium chloride base product with grit,the grit is just crushed lime stone used for traction.I'm finding a lot of guys down here using it or just bagged rock salt which I can get for 3.50 per 50 lb.bag.So far,I have not found a place to get bulk salt unless I go up to Cinn.OH and buy more tonage than I will need for the next 10 years.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Re: Ice melter made from barley?!

I think they guys who sell the stuff here call it "magic-O"