1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ice melt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by hydro_37, Nov 23, 2007.

1. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Anybody ever use water softner salt in the smallest crystal size for ice melting in their sanders? What do you use for ice melting? Kind? Manufacturer? Mix with sand? what percent sand? New to sanding here. Thanks a bunch for any replies. Tim
  2. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

that stuff will go thru your spreader but it will not desolve, a week after the snow is gone ,you will have small chunks of salt all over.
  3. hydro_37

from iowa

Thanks cincy. I will just use ice melt then. What percentage of ice melt and sand do most people use? 50/50?
  4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

don't use sand unless you underbid something and need to cover your butt, i hate sand it makes a mess and it freezes easily, What kind of spreader do you have? can you even run sand through it? i think most that use sand around here use a 5:2 mix 5parts sand to 2parts salt which makes the price about $20 per ton but it don't seem to melt anything but just make a mess

there was a post on here about sand vs salt and the conclusion was that if you sand drive lanes it'll only stay there for a short time(amount of traffic) before cars spread it farther and thinner, but the salt will actually melt ice/snow

i aquired a large contract last year because of sand: here is the story. the guy that was doing it ONLY sanded and only had trucks witch was fine till we got the 24"in 5hrs and the trucks couldn't scrape to the asphalt after refreeze and he just sanded the large lot (government offices, grocery store etc.) and that one storm produced 5 law-suit's 3 slip&falls and on wreck involving 2 cars and 2 people, so i went in with a roadgrader and pry-ed the ice up and salted and it was wet&black that night

but back to the Q' i would suggest 100% rock salt in bags
  5. hydro_37

from iowa

Thanks powerjoke. I got a Western 1000 series tailgate sander. Got a price today of $5.59 for 50lb bags of ice melt. Think I will just go the ice melt route. Have to get the wiring ran and do some testing to see how it will work for me. I took the tailgate off the truck for better visibility while plowing the Apartment buildings I do. So I will have to see how the sander will look on the back. I will only put the sander on when needed.
  6. hoosier

hoosier Junior Member

Another thing to consider when using sand. EPA and local gov't are beginning to frown on sand because of clean-up cost and enviromental issues. This varies greatly in different parts of the country,but it is a concern I hear more and more. When I talk to cities or counties that use sand,I inquire about cleanp-cost ,usual answer is.."I dont care,sewage dept has to cleans it outta the drains,doesnt cost me anything."