1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice melt questions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by captjack, Dec 11, 2001.

1. captjack

captjack Member

What are the benefits of calcium over mag in flake form?

What are the benefits of pellets over flake?

Has anybody compared actual application rates to manufactures recomended application rate?

2. Irrigation

Irrigation Junior Member

I can't answer either of the first two questions, but I have done very extensive calculations on rates, costs and so on. I'll e mail you with the info
  3. Jay ALC

Jay ALC Senior Member

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

feel free to add me as well.

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Why not just post the info- we all are interested in the results you came up with.
  6. stslawncare

stslawncare Senior Member

7. Irrigation

Irrigation Junior Member

Here are the numbers, now realize that these are only the more popular products and these prices and rates were derived from each individual manufacturer.

Ice Ban Ultra M/ $4.95/ gallon - treats 2000 sq. ft.

Urea/ $6.44/ 50lbs. - treats 1000 sq. ft.

Potassium Chloride/ $6.95/ 50 lbs. - treats 910 sq. ft.

Lesco Melt/ $8.95/ 50 lbs. - treats 1800 sq. ft.

Calcium Chloride/ $9.95/ 50 lbs. - treats 1800 sq. ft.

Ice Ban Ultra M - $2.48

Lesco Melt - $4.97

Calcium - $5.52

Urea - $6.44

Potassium - $7.70
  8. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

Irrigation ;

Thanks for the numbers , I had startd to do this, now I don"t have to.:)

Have been looking & talking about Iceban. getting closer to changing over from salt. It's almost a challange to get some of my accts. to let me salt. Just this AM we got a new acct. because we offered them a liquid de-icer, rather than salt.

The wife wants me to use it around here too, says she's tired of me killing her plants along the drive.:D

Just maybe we will have a chance to test it out this next week

Again THANKS for you information

9. bridges

bridges Junior Member
    from RI

And where do we get this liquid de-icer. Do you think we could spray it on the sand that is on our sander, so they don't frez
  10. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Welcome to Plowsite.
    I see you didn't fill out your location,so I don't know where you are.Please feel free to call our office and I will be happy to discuss deicing with you. :)
    Thank You
  11. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

We have good results with magnesium and calcium. The past two seasons we have used calcium choride pellets for all walkways.

We only use pellets, I don't think the flakes are effective.

And while it may look good on paper for coverage sq ft. think realistically. Our guys take a scoop or a lesco 80lb spreader and go to town. We continually apply at our 24/7 commercial sites, until its bare ground, so whatever is cheap and effective is good for us and our clients.

I think the calcium cost us around $9/50lbs this year and $3.60/50lbs rock salt.