1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ice melt products?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by parboy, Nov 17, 2003.

1. parboy

parboy Junior Member
    from nh

Want to start by saying I just discvered this site (thru=ough lawnsite link) and am an instant addict!
    We are a company in new hampshire with 10 trucks, 5 with sanders ( 4 downeasters and 1 air flow). For years we have been trying to convince accounts to go with straight salt but most dont want to pay the extra money ( we use salt/sand mix now). I was just wondering what other guys here are using. And what is this magic salt?
  2. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Do a search ( top right corner) under magic salt, there's lots said about it. It will cut your salt usage by about a 1/3 and give you better results. Here I don't use sand except on a couple of unpaved areas, and this year I'm using another product supplied by the Magic Salt people Caliber M2000 to treat my salt. Treated salt is the way to go.

3. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

We have found that there really isnt any need to raise prices over the sand/salt mix. The reason being is that you are going to use about half the amount of salt as you would with sand/salt. If it takes you one hopper full to do an account with sand/salt mix you will use 1/2 hopper of salt to do the same account. Also it will work much better than the mix, get better melting and if you also do the year round work at the places you will definately save on the spring cleanup costs, the only problem we ran into the first year that we switched over was that the customers didnt see anything put down after we serviced them, but after a few storms they were really happy with the results. The savings in time and the amount that one truck can now handle is the biggest cost savings. Just my two cents.

4. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

All we use is straight salt. This year we are applying the MAGIC liquid to our salt pile. The other advantage to straight salt is that it weighs less than sand/salt mix.

Our 1.6 CY Monroe spreader on our 88 Dodge was really sagging with a full heaped up load of sand/salt mix. When we switched to straight salt ( because a large Church that we plowed, complained about the mess the sand was making in their lot, and being tracked into the carpet), we were able to load the spreader heaping full, and it just barely sagged in the rear. Since then we only use salt, and as stated above, we use a lot less material, less trips back to the pile, less time spent loading, etc....