1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ice melt outdoor moisture exposure

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by somervillesnow, Oct 28, 2012.

1. somervillesnow

somervillesnow Junior Member

This year I will be buying loose by the yard; in previous years I bought sealed 5 gallon buckets. Does ice melt that is not exposed directly to water or snow, but is exposed to moisture in the air, have problems with become frozen blocks?

Potentially I will have backup ice melt stored covered by tarps outdoors all season.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it does pull moisture from the air. Keep it covred best you can and on a high spot so the rain and snow don't melt and run to the bottom of the pile. If your using a tractor/loader you can bust it up.
  3. somervillesnow

somervillesnow Junior Member

I will be using a tarp that has walls. And maybe I'll put some pallets underneath it too. And cover it with other tarps.

But can't stop the moisture that is in the air. I guess I'll have to rotate the stock. More work that way because I'll have to empty new stock that I pickup in my truck into storage and then load the backup stuff into the truck.