1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice Melt or Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lawn Care Plus, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Lawn Care Plus

Lawn Care Plus Senior Member

Which is easier on the concrete and ashpalt?

I have been using large size salt for water softeners.

Tim

2. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

now that my friend will eat holes in concrete, water softner salt. I can understand though if thats all you can get ahold of

3. Lawn Care Plus

Thank you. That is what I was wondering.

Is there an environment friendly alternative to either ice melt or salt, and that will not eat holes in the concrete and ashpalt?

Tim

4. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

That will eat up a sidewalk faster than anything! Try getting ahold of some ice melt that is magnesium chloride based.

5. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

cheapest and most effective is bulk rock salt, but if you dont know what your doing you can ruin stuff real quick.

6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I only use Ice Melt, no salt. People will pay more for ice melt because of the safeness with concrete and interiors of buildings. JMO :)

7. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

My friend, I see you are from Martinsburg. I am in Hagerstown. Do not use salt on concrete. And isn't large water softener salt a little hard to spread?
    Give my buddies a call at LESCO in Hagerstown off Hump Road. 240-420-3972 Speak to Rich or Greg either one. They will hook you up with a good dry bagged salt from SWI Inc. and their Lesco Melt II is safe on concrete. Or, shop your Tractor Supply Warehouse or Sams Club for ICE MELT or TSC Winter Storm Melt. With Mag Chloride or Potassium Chlor.
    Tell them Jason of Green Thumb Mowing and Snow Services told you to call. They'll give you a good price. If you need anything else, pm me.
    Good Luck to You,
    Jaybird

8. Lawn Care Plus

Thank you much Jaybird!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate the info.

Yup, here in Martinsburg. It's my first year plowing, what an initiation. ICE! Employee issues, and the dually wheels fell off my truck (read into it = more employee issues?? some think they were getting even with me for having the back bone to tell them to do the jobs right). But I made it!

I was wondering if there was a LESCO around here. Can one go through them for applicators license or do they just supply?

Thank you,

Tim

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Is that SWI stuff in white bags?

I get my salt from Lesco and they ran out of the Saft-t yellow bagged stuff and got some from SWI in white bags.

It was garbage. It was a pulverized rock salt that kept tunneling and clogging in my spreader.

It was almost dust or like table salt it was so fine. With the wind storm the other day I could watch it blow into the next lot over as it was coming out of the back. Or I should say when it came out.

I use the Lesco Icemelt II for walks and because it is twice the cost of rock salt customers here will not pay for it on their lot's. But they want it on the walks because of grass burn and plant life along the edges.

10. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

was wondering if there was a LESCO around here. Can one go through them for applicators license or do they just supply?

Thank you,

Tim

No Lesco closer than Hagerstown, They are just a commercial supplier.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  11. GTMS

GTMS Senior Member

Is that SWI stuff in white bags?

I get my salt from Lesco and they ran out of the Saft-t yellow bagged stuff and got some from SWI in white bags.

It was garbage. It was a pulverized rock salt that kept tunneling and clogging in my spreader.

It was almost dust or like table salt it was so fine. With the wind storm the other day I could watch it blow into the next lot over as it was coming out of the back. Or I should say when it came out.

I use the Lesco Icemelt II for walks and because it is twice the cost of rock salt customers here will not pay for it on their lot's. But they want it on the walks because of grass burn and plant life along the edges.

REAPER,

SWI comes in a grey,black, white and blue bag. At the beginning and middle of the season, I received from Lesco, three skids of salt from SWI that were nothing but dust! Very fine, almost crushed. I brought this to the attention of Lesco. They sent the photo's that I had provided them and the sample bag to Lesco HQ and in turn SWI supplier. Both Lesco Hagerstown and Frederick had their entire stock replaced by the supplier. And, I will just say that Rich and Greg MADE things right by me for the defective product. Where are you located? If I were you I would contact my Lesco Store Manager and provide him with your new found wealth of information. The replacement salt from SWI that I received was a really nice bright white salt from Mortons.
    The picture below shows how the "dust" came out of my spreader.
    That's why I go to Lesco, price and "SERVICE"!

scompasssquare24.jpg

lesco003.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

It is the same stuff then.

If I even left a trail I would have taken pictures but the wind was blowing at 35-40 MPH and it was just dust in the wind.

I ended up driving slow along the edge of the lot and the wind carried it over my lot at least but man what a PITA.

I did tell the manager here. It is at the Crystal lake , Illinois store. He said "sorry bout that but what ya gonna do".
    I made it very clear how pissed off I was either watching it just blow in the air or me getting out of the truck every 5 minuets to knock it down from the sides of the hopper. Finally I just started hitting a curb with the rear tire to shake it down from the sides.

He made no offer to do anything about it and frankly this guy is one of those hates his job complains about life types every time you try to talk to him about something. He said I could return what I have if I had any left but would have to find salt somewhere else then because that is all they have or can get the rest of the year no matter the quality.