1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice melt in bulk.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Craig Voelker, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Craig Voelker

Craig Voelker Junior Member
    from Iowa

New to the sire. I've been plowing for 12 years and decided to get into this side of the business. Do you guys have a place to buy bulk salt that has been treated to work to -22 degrees? Thanks for any contacts!

2. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

That's sort of a loaded question. Everyone's treated bulk product works to at least -87°...just ask them!

:laughing:

OK, really, though--there are a handful of good (some excellent) treated bulk products out there...Slicer, Magic, Clearlane, Thundermelt; Geomelt, Thawrox--just to name a few. Where in IA are you situated? That will probably help narrow it down...

3. Craig Voelker

from Iowa

Cedar Falls, Iowa. I don't have a place to store bulk. Looking for bulk on a pallet. Best I can do is $200.00 picked up.

4. Craig Voelker

from Iowa

Thanks for the reply!

5. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

No problem. SO, to clarify, are you looking for a super sack (1 ton) then?

6. Craig Voelker

from Iowa

Looking for a super sack (1 ton). Thanks

7. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

At our supplier, he super sacks are same price per pound as bagged. Only pro or con is you can load it into a big spreader in one shot. But if you have a big spreader and a loader, you can use bulk treated rock salt for 1/5th the price. Not exactly apples to apples but a big price diff.

8. Craig Voelker

from Iowa

Not here. Thanks for the feedback guys.

9. Craig Voelker

from Iowa

Any help here? Let me know what you come up with.