1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice melt Cost for Residential

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by JulanCo, Nov 15, 2006.

1. JulanCo

JulanCo Junior Member

Wondering the average cost people are getting for applying ice melt on a two car driveway. Would be applied with a walk along salt spreader
  2. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

A spreader might seem like over kill unless the driveway is really long. Try filling up a rubber maid tub with salt and use a big plastic cup to throw the salt around. Probably save a lot of salt in the process. It is difficult to give you a price without actually knowing the dimensions of the driveway.
  3. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

The coffee cup works, but just using your hands and flinging off the lip of a 5 gallon pail held at a 45 degree really works. It's heavy when filled, but you can control the spread and target better. Just wear rubber gloves as the salt eats and shrinks normal gloves.

Works great on driveways and sidewalks as the spreader sometimes goes way too wide and spreads it on areas past sidewalk.
  4. go plow

go plow Senior Member

depending on what you pay for the salt i would charge around $25 to 30
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

25 lbs of salt = $1.00 ($60 per ton)
    2-3 minutes labor = $1.80 ($100 per hour)
    should total around $2.80
    need to figure depreciation of coffee can and salt bucket.

just charge them $25
  6. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

40'x 16' driveway = 640 sq.ft.

I usually figure salt on 15lbs. per 1000sq ft.

50lbs. bag of salt = $3.92...(or $.078 per pound)

approx. 8 lbs @ $.078 per pound.......$0.63 in materials, 3-5 seconds in time to complete with hitch mount spreader........

I charge $10.00 additional if I am there to plow. If it is a trip to just salt, I charge whatever their regular service visit fee is......$26-$32.00

7. jeh250

jeh250 Junior Member

I like the way you think... :D