1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice Management

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cmo18, Mar 21, 2008.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

Hi, I'm starting a small snow removal and when I dropped off a proposal I did not include Ice Management because I do not have access to equipment for Ice. The landlord ask me about Ice problems on one particular driveway and I`m wondering how to put in the proposal that I am not responsible for Ice unless it can be plowed (thick ice rain builds up enough to plow)..Thks Chris
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You won't be able to plow ice; the plow will just float right over it. Even if the plow isn't in "float", it'll fold before it plows up ice. Unless you've got the equipment for ice control, just put "snowplowing" on your contract. Anything to do with ice management is verbal - as in "I don't have the capability to address ice issues, but I can help you find someone who does".
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

For "just one" drive you may be able to get by with a walk behind spreader. Bill seperately for for that.
  4. bakerc8

bakerc8 Senior Member

ya get a walk behind and a little rock salt thats what we use on sicewalks there like 40 bucks for a cheap one
  5. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

it is summer time. the best time to buy a salter/sander. you mght be able to score a cheap one off of ebay or someting like that. look in to it. nothing wrong with getting one then you can expand your market
  6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im not making any assumptions.....but

if you have insurance, you may want to ask them how they would like it worded in ur contract, so that you will not be liable... I know my insrance company doesnt like it when we dont salt....and we make the customer sign a release, and waiver form, that deals with packed snow, Ice, frozen rain, sleet, or any percipitaion , moister , liquid or water that might cause an un safe condition, or slippery surface....Customer further agress that he takes all reposiblity and liablity for the Surface condions,...Customer aggknowleges that fact and statement that Deicing and salting, Is always recommended after plowing, as plowing alone will Not clear down to bare payment, and pasked snow or Ice can be left behind after the parking area has been plowed....

something along those lines

I would just go get a spreader....Even a push spreader for $50.....works just fine , spend the money for the cacuim/mag/rock triblend....it will work just fine

Im even surpirsed at how well it works...... i have lots that we did (culvers restanut) by push spreading.....I only used 200 lbs ...i use well over 700 in rock salt with a bulk spreader, its almost cheaper , when you consider the eqiptment investment