1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice management on parged concrete steps

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by peterng, Dec 24, 2011.

1. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Summer 2011 the church parged the steps to 4 entrances. The existing concrete was deteriorating. The parging is only 1/4" thick on average.

They have asked that I use no deicing products on or anywhere near the steps. Also no metal edge shovels on the steps.

How do you propose dealing with this?

2. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

well they should of sealed the steps after the repair, but i would let them know how dangerous the steps will become. esp if the parishoners are older

plastic shovels and no ice melt = some one is going to get hurt...make them sign something to cover your butt
  3. Moonlighter

Moonlighter Senior Member

I have had this issue before at a residence I used to take care of. I made a rubber edged shovel (using an old deflector for the materials) just for their stairs and we used a mixture of sand and small gravel almost a crushed gravel for traction. I saw this Ecotraction stuff at the snow show, it bonds to the ice and provides a gritted surface the package says "all natural volcanic mineral that grips ice". www.ecotraction.com the demo the guy gave surprised me a bit that it worked. I am by no means selling the product just thought it may add a solution for you.
  4. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Sand I guess but its going to look like a beach front inside the church
  5. peterng

peterng Senior Member

That is an awesome suggestion. I like the reuse it after every season idea as well. I could lay down plastic left and right of all steps. I'm going to look into this stuff and pick some up Tuesday.

Thanks Moon,
  6. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Never heard of that stuff, but seems like a pretty good idea, you will have to review it for us and let us know how it works after the season.

Also going to need to pick up some snow plow shovels...
  7. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I certainly will as I have as as much interest in doing as much as I can for those seniors as I do avoiding lawsuits.