1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice management killing my skin

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Crystalcreek, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Crystalcreek

Crystalcreek Junior Member

Hello all, my first post and I'm sure it's a weird one. I run a small opp with three trucks. All three are western equipped for plows. I run two of the trucks with snow ex spreaders v boxes. The other truck runs a snow ex brine set up. Very happy with my opp.

Here is my problem. I run either salt or calcium brine depending on conditions. Besides the normal dry cracked painful hands, my face takes a beating. Not dryness, but breakout. It lasts about three days after an application. This year has been non stop for the last 5-6 weeks.

I have even gotten to the point of washing my face ever hour with frest water. Still breaking out. Does anyone else have this problem. It's not fun trying to meet new customers looking like a 12 year old boy. No offense to anyone who is 12.

What a great first post on plow site.

2. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I am not certain...but washing dries your skin even more. Retention of moisture is what you are after.

Not really sure what to tell you to do...but I would be wearing rubber gloves to start.

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Aveno .. Apply before salting and it should prevent drying out.

4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Use those moist towelettes that have moisturizers in them to clean off your face/hands. I keep them in the car year round.

5. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you narrowed down whether it is from the salt or the calcium brine? Getting or having calcium chloride absorb thru your skin is VERY bad.

6. pdreibels

pdreibels Member

If its a breakout it may be an allergic reaction of some sort. No amount of cleaning or aveno is gonna help that. And repeated exposure will probably just make it worse. But heck I ain't no doctor

7. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Utterly smooth cream is the bees knees for dried up hands!

8. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

buy a tin of bag balm from your local ag store...farmers been using it for years

9. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

Old wives tale said if you pee on your hands they won't chap. Old husband tale said if you peed on your hand, all your food tastes like pee.

Anyway, consult the material safety data sheet on the products you are using. There might be some information there on your problem. Sometimes my hands would chap but I never had other parts of my body react.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'd talk to your doctor if your face is that bad. Also water will make it worse in the winter. Put really good cream on and wear surgical gloves under your other gloves for your hands.

11. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

One of my walk guys had what you described..it was from the calcium getting to his skin either as a "brine" or the pellets themselves. At the time he was using leather gloves which probably didn't help. It looked pretty nasty and painful

12. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Little side note..have any of you noticed that on a sunny day when your wearing singlasses that if you apply calcium by hand ( and it's windy) the residual powder will ruin the lenses in no time

13. remac

remac Junior Member

"singlasses"? where can I get some?

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Awesome gloves!

16. Crystalcreek

Ok. Wow. I was not expecting all these great replies. Thank you everyone. I go all year with no problem, one app of brine or calcium pellets and I'm done for. After thinking about it more, it's only the calcium. I made a batch of cal brine the week before thanksgiving, and leth just say, I wasn't in any pictures.

I think I should set up a dr appointment. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks again for the great help on my first post.

17. jerzeyguy

jerzeyguy Junior Member
    from 07080

Toughen up. Should've got a desk job lol

18. Crystalcreek

Rather have pimples than no fresh air.

19. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I use okief's working hands. Comes in a green tub package looks similar to turtle wax green hockey puck. GREAT stuff doesn't burn on open wounds consult a doctor for treatment

20. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

another thought, when i worked around machine coolant we would coat our hands and arms with a white cream protector before working,was in a green and white tube....if i remember the name ill post it later