1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ice in the plow

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by chriswittlock, Dec 17, 2008.

1. chriswittlock

chriswittlock Junior Member

how do you keep ice from getting in the plow

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

ice where in the plow?

3. chriswittlock

i have a e47 and ice gets in the valves i wanted to know if i could put somehting in to keep ice out

4. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

new fluid. Drain ALL of the old and put in fresh... the water should settle to the bottom of the resivoir. Let it sit a full day before you do it.

5. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

I have heater hose wrapped around the E47, that keeps any moisture from icing up.

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Change the fluid yearly and you don't have icing problems.

7. chriswittlock

thanks for all th etip this is my first year plowing so i am trying to learn all the tips

8. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

I found with Meyer plows that when the angle hoses are unhooked always hook them to each other and cap the fittings on the pump. Anytime you unhook the lines it allows snow or moisture to get in the system. That is the main reason I switched from Meyer plows. Of course now they have plow mounts that can be removed, just like all the major manufacturers, where the pump comes off with the plow. I've had three Meyers over the years with both the E47 and E60 pumps and they all froze several times each winter.