1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice in Pump housing, Where is it coming from?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Tee Bones, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Tee Bones

Tee Bones Junior Member

I have a western 8 foot unimount plow and had problems last year with water getting into the pump housing. The water of course turns to ice and freezes up the plow so then I have to heat it up in order to melt the ice. After using silicone around the motor last year still kept having problems. Put a brand new motor on this year with a brand new gasket and still having the same problem. It is driving me nuts cause I have no clue where the water is getting in if anyone can help please do. Thanks a bunch!

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

How does your ram look? Pitted, rusty I 'd bet your ram seal is leaking.

3. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

<--- Just put in two new pivot rams. :cry:

4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Its condensation forming inside. Do you park your truck inside a warm garage????????????????

5. Tee Bones

Tee Bones Junior Member

Its not in a warn garage, more like a cold shed. The ram makes more sense to me, when u say pivot rams do u mean the angling rams that push it side to side? Have u had a problem like this before? The rams are a little rusty and worked over but if they were allowing water in wouldn't they be leaking hydraulic fluid out?

6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

what about the lift ram? is it wet at the packing nut? is that ram pitted? put it all the way up without the chain on. any pits? water will sit on the packing nut and seep in if the seal is bad.

7. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Could be the temperature difference. When you use the plow the oil is gonna get warm , the work is over, the truck sits and condensation will form on the cast iron wall of the reservoir. A little bit doesnt affect anything but it builds up over time to cause problems.

8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I would bet its the ram on the pump that is leaking. I'd replace the packing there first. It's pretty cheap and relativly easy to replace if you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have a few wrench's laying around.

9. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Couldn't condense measurable amounts inside the pump. Condensation forms out of the air, and this is a closed system-meaning a very small amount of water in the air inside the pump-immeasurable. I'm with everyone else on the lift ram-any oil leaking there at all? It will appear dirty along the front of the lift ram. Other than that-have you completely drained the system including angling cylinders? If you are not draining the cylinders, it could be water in oil that never got out, but check the lift cylinder first.

10. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

One other thing, my unimount doesn't understand what a garage is, and I have never had this problem.

11. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

On my fisher, my buddy said that the breather will suck some snow in sometimes. Especially when it's fine and you're stacking and it's coming over. Don't know if this is true or not.

12. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Breather will not suckin snow, its a duck bill type breather, only goes one way.

And yes, they will collect condensation and more than a significant amount due to weather changes.

13. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

thats because he changes his oil in the late fall.