1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ice fishing...

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Up North, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

spent the day out on the lake. Next to hunting, this is my next favorite hobby.

Buck

fishn1.JPG

2. Up North

Up North Senior Member

This weekend there must have been thousands of fish houses out there.

Buck

fishn2.JPG

3. Up North

Up North Senior Member

looks like shoreline in the horizon but it's all fish houses.

Buck

fishn3.JPG

4. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Plenty of fish houses on the other side of me too.

fishn4.JPG

5. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Bobber down!!!!! :redbounce I don't see my bobber in the right hole...I had a bobber on so I must have gotten a hit when I was messing around with stupid camera. I'd just gotten my lines set up for the evening and got a small walleye right away but none of the famous huge crappies.

fishn5.JPG

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  6. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

While you were out there how many times did you find your self looking to see if the other trucks had plow mounts. ;) So besides the fish you didn't get have any other luck.

7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

didn't catch these today but this is what we go after in this particular lake. Smallest crappie was 11 1/2 inches, largest was 14". Brother in law on far right, nephew in the middle, me on the left.

Buck

fishn6.JPG

8. bad dad

bad dad Junior Member
    from canada

bad dad

fun ah we need to do more of this but i will not get the time till this summer i'm in ab and slave lake is the best must try it

andytami@telus.net

ps. want to know abough Alaska whear to fish

9. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Every 4x4 that goes by gets a quick glance.. :) I sure wish I'd kept mine on as there is so much snow you couldn't get very far off the road they plow. And usually you need to get away from the traffic as much as possible. We were 3 miles out at this point, I've fished as far as 8 miles out. I caught one little walleye and few bottle bass. So had a little luck :D

Buck

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  10. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Hey bad dad,
    I've heard Slave Lake was pretty awesome. I've fished Manitoba before, used to go with my dad as a kid. Haven't fished Canada for 20 years or better...need to get back up there and give it a try again.

Buck

11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I"M JELOUS!!!! I haven't been out ice fiching yet!!!! :dizzy:
    if it doesn't snow i'm going to go this week, I have the bug now and it's all your fault. :D

12. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

LMAO!!!! I was thinking the exact same thing!! My sides still hurt from laughing! I have this thing about ice fishing....I don't do it! Chickensh*t I guess, let alone in my "plowtruck"! Thanks for the laugh tho' and good luck. :dizzy:

13. Up North

Up North Senior Member

LOL! SnoFarmer, for some reason I don't feel about it being my fault. You SHOULD take some time and get out fishing. It does wonders...it's relaxing, no phones (cell phone stays in the truck), nobody nagging at ya (until you get home again), no TV (just my little radio), a nice way to get away for a day/evening. I'm going to take my 3 year old out this week...it'll be his first time on the ice...could change my outlook on ice fishing! :dizzy: :D

Hey Repo,
    Once you get up to Michigan you should give it a try, I think you'd like it.

Buck

14. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

15. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

[ I'm going to take my 3 year old out this week...it'll be his first time on the ice...could change my outlook on ice fishing!

Just so you know, both legs of a 3 year old will fit down an 8" hole but luckily their arms usually will be out. This will be before all the holes are even drilled. Bring plenty of extra dry boots and clothes. and Snacks, gotta have snacks. Don't forget that favorite stuffed toy, blankie or whatever it is they need for comfort. They seem to love playing with the minnows in the bait bucket so buy a few extra. I also learned never take the little ones ice fishing until I can drive on the ice cuz you need all that extra stuff. Good Luck and Keep your stick on the ice! Father of 3 with the youngest almost 6 years.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  16. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Yeah Steve, and I use 10" holes. My little guy could probably slide right thru. For that reason I think we'll only drill one hole, maybe two after we see how he does. We aren't going to be far from home in case he gets bored out of his mind. Lake Bemidji is 3 miles down the road so we'll set up there for some perch. This little excursion is just to introduce him to ice fishing, I'm not planning on fishing myself as I'll be busy enough keeping him away from the heater, holes, hooks, etc. :dizzy:

Repo, I don't blame you. I've been in some pretty precarious situations on the ice and didn't like it one bit. Once we had 18 inches of ice, plenty for driving on. But we had NO snow, none what so ever. As we drove to the shack which was out 4 miles (my buddy was driving) we could see cracks forming from the weight of the truck, and when you looked out and thru the ice you could actually see weed beds and stuff...that trip made me real nervous. Plus when there's no snow the cracks pop really loud, I mean really loud. :eek:

Buck

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I went ice fishing with a friend of mine a few years ago. As we were driving across the ice he had his door open. It was really cold that day and I asked why he had his door open. He said if we went through then maybe the doors would hold us up or at least it is already open so we could get out quick. That was my last time ice fishing.

18. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

Buck how far are you from Lake Ottertail? I go to a resort there every summer and for some reason I think you are pretty close to that area, Battle Lake, ect?

19. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Buck - FOr some reason your pics remind me of the movie Grumpier Old Men. "Looks like chuck's taken the old skin boat to tuna town".

That's awsome that you get to take your son out to ice fish like that. We spend our summers a the Jersey shore surf fishing, every now and then we charter for night blues.

20. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Add ice fishing to the list...