1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice Fisherman

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Fargokman, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Fargokman

Fargokman Junior Member

I'm currently in the Army in Iraq. In Feb my tour is done and I go home, I'm a hardcore ice fisherman and fish Lake of the Woods, MN. I want a snowplow to cut roads across the lake, just for me and my buddy. No commercial application. No piling snow, just cutting a road.

I have a 2004 Ford F-150 with 5.4L and tow package. Couple questions:

1. I figure to spend $2000 - recommendations?

2. Is it feasible to cut a long road across the ice? I understand snow depth would have an effect of course, but will my engine or tranny overheat if I plow for miles at a time?

3. Highway travel - feasible to drive extended distances with the blade on - like 130 miles?

Thanks for any help.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for your service to our country :salute:

Plowing ice roads is tough business. Usually there's a layer of hard pack that you'll have to fight through and it takes some tough equipment to do that.

I would suggest buying a permit to use the ice roads that have been opened up by the resort owners. It's only $8-10 and you'll save your truck a lot of abuse.

3. Fargokman

Fargokman Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. That's what we've been doing for years. I don't begrudge the resorts their road fee and always pay it, I'd just like to be able to get farther off from their roads. Also, if you go any distance from the resort roads you can easily get snowed in. We have snowmobiles and leave our pick-ups on shore when there's big snowfall coming, but it would be nice to always be able to drive up to the big houses.

There's no need to scrape down to the ice - is it feasible to run with the blade six inches up?

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Thank you for your service.

I plow to my ice shack and it's realy hard to get out there some times. You have to deal with slush, ice chunks, and other things. The best thing for plowing on ice would be a V plow, but if you don't want to spend alot of money you can do it with a strait blade. A 7.5' plow would work good gor you IMO.

5. Eric78Fordzilla

Eric78Fordzilla Junior Member

buy a snowmobile duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats what i do i can cruise 80 to 90 mph anywhere on snow pulling my shanty and gear

6. Fargokman

Fargokman Junior Member

I have a snowmobile and multiple portables. We go our on the lake usually from Fri evening to Sunday afternoon. We'll run 25 miles up to Garden Island on our sleds for DAY trips. When you camp out for weekends at a time it's much easier to drive to our big houses, which are really only base camp for us.

You're also obviously a liar with the 80-90 MPH claim.

Does this site have much problem with stupid kids posting?

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

They're not always kids ;)

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Ice fishing is different in all areas as well, here in western NY you can't put a "base camp" on the ice, DEC would flip, it would most likely be gone next time you went out. Same with trucks, 4 wheelers, etc., ice rarely gets strong enough for trucks, let alone plowing roads across the ice.

9. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

I will say it is quite easy to cruise 80-90+ on new tech. Id never do that on a lake mind you. Ive had friends die from hitting ice heaves. Now the gandy dancer trail in wisconsin is a whole different story RR bed and straight as an arrow,not to much traffic. That speed however does not come on weekends too many people out and about. Much easier to drop er back to 60-70 and take in the sites. It all comes down to common sence in the end what was there 18 deaths in wis. over 6 weeks or something like that last year.

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I first want to thank you for keeping us free....I have the upmost respect for people that serve in the military....i am also very proud to say my brother is currently serving in the Army,,,,,,,again, my family & I thank you Fargokman,

I dont know squat about plowing ice roads, other than watching that show about it.....I do love fishing though......long travels on the highway coul be real hard on a 1/2 ton truck w/plow? What about a fixed vplow of some sort? keep it stored somewhere close to lake, upon arrival throw it on and go where ever? Just a thought?

Now Eric78fordzilla.......for you, I hope you and I cross paths someday. We'll see who's wearing the skirt then:D....

11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

God bless you for your service! :salute: We are all indebted to you....please make it back safe Fargokman! :drinkup:

Sure it is. Now I've never plowed on a lake before, but I would use that strategy. I would imagine you would need to make several passes otherwise you will be in for a real rough go.

Absolute shame on you...what is wrong with your thinking process?? :dizzy:

:nod: They come in all shapes, sizes and ages.

12. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

The tough thing about blazing your own trail on a lake is that you don't know what's under the snow. You think hitting a manhole cover is hard on your vehicle, think about hitting a 6" crack in the ice :dizzy: You will be stopped dead in your tracks.

I used to plow a racetrack on a local lake for snowmobile speed runs. I'd only plow a 1000-1500' track and my equipment would take a lot of abuse from just doing that small amount.

I guess I'm just real skeptical to say everything will work out fine for the OP if he follows through with putting a plow on his truck.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sir - thank you for serving and protecting our country ussmileyflag My church continuously prays for the safety of all our troops. I can't tell you enough how thankful my family and I are for your bravery.:gunsfiring:

To answer your questions somewhat directly:

You can get an OK plow for 2 grand. It will help if you are mechanically inclined for any needed service/repair.

I have never plowed on ice. I would imagine it's not easy.

Traveling 130 mile each way with the blade on will not be fun, nor terribly good for your truck. And I would expect fuel economy would suffer.

This is what I would try to do....

Do you have a safe place to keep things at the lake? My first recommendation would be to keep an old bomber to keep there. Old 3/4 ton with a straight blade would be most economical. A fixed vee would be OK, but they are few and far between. And the older ones are very heavy.

Another option, would be store a plow for your truck near the lake.

If I lived closer, you could take my truck. You would have to drive it yourself, I don't think I would be heading out on the ice with you.....

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

To the kid that replied and suggested the OP "man up and take off the skirt". You are pathetic. Long overdue for a good ole fashioned butt kicking. It's too bad we don't still have a draft, you need it.

I hope the mods sent the deleted posts to you.

15. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

First off, Fargo....No one could thank you enough for your service & the sacrifices that go along with it. Come home safe soldier. Thank you! ussmileyflag:salute:

Hey Eric.....I was just going to send you a PM instead of doing this in open forum, however you have more time to run your mouth then to set your PlowSite settings.

You got alot of nerve bouncing on here and talking like that to any member, let alone someone who is willing to give his life for your freedom. Karma is b*tch, you'll see the light one day. I just wish I could be there to witness it. Go to Google and type in PTSD, watch some videos, then you'll have a fraction of understanding what these men are going through emotionally AFTER the fact. Now imagine what there living through everyday....

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  16. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

No **** :realmad:

If not, please mods send them to me and I will send them to this little tweerp.

Fargo, thanks for your service. It's too bad what you do is protecting the POS that made the post that you man up. Absolutely out of line IMO.

17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Fargokman,

Let me try this again (since my post was deleted instead of edited):

Thank you and all our soldiers, aviators, sailors and Marines for all you do for us. ussmileyflag

God bless you and I wish you a safe return.

Sorry I can't help with the lake plowing, I got this thing about taking a truck on a lake. ;)

I'm wondering if I ought to drive down to Woodland and bring a skirt that I can make someone wear?

18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Just say the word......I will gladly meet you there Mark.

19. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Can I meet you there for the 3838.gif ?

3838.gif

20. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I thought my post was the reason this thread got chopped up. Glad to know I wasn't the only offender :drinkup: