1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice Dam Removal, What should i charge?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by DrakeSabitch, Jan 30, 2011.

1. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

I am looking into offering ice dam removal for my driveway customers, but i don't know what would be too much or too less. I probably wont be getting too intense with it, just using a roof rake from the ground. It would be mostly a one man operation (me, or maybe a buddy if i get enough requests) What/How are you guys charging for this? Thanks

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Well, with my experience with ice dams, I can tell you once they have started, a roof rake is not enough. You have to release the water up there and it's only a temporary situation if the cause of the dam is not solved (usually venting or insulation issues). Raking the edges is good preventative, but not the cure.
    I have had to chip out channels 2x already on one roofline of my house in the past 10 days- chip through 10 inch thick ice that extends 12 inches up the roof then placed in ice melt socks to keep them open for a few days letting the melt drain.
    4-5 hours on a ladder each time. My suggestion would be sell roof raking, not ice dam service, leave the roof work to roofers. Really easy to damage a roof if you are not careful.

3. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I agree, don't even think of being able to get rid of the ice without crazy heating systems. We see this like crazy on poorly insulated condo's. All the heat in the attic escapes and melt the snow sort of, causes 6 inch ice on the front porches. They need to insulated the attic, vent it properly, and problem should go away.

4. Carpenter98

Carpenter98 Member

5. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

ok good advice thanks guys.

6. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Thats not ice dam removal, its roof snow removal.

7. Carpenter98

Carpenter98 Member

Good point. I didn't catch that the first time.