1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice Control

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by winterangel, Jan 17, 2005.

1. winterangel

winterangel Member
    from Ohio

Clients have a trigger of 2", snows less but freezes when I just salt because of drop in temp. Would it be best to plow then lay the ice melt, To reduce the slush and ice? If so, would you charge for push and spread or have a medium price? :help: Also, any tips on ice control after dark would be great. :nod:

2. capital

capital Senior Member

winter angel not sure what types of property you are doing. We apply de icer after we plow a lot and normally do not over apply de icer to a lot with snow on it. On are commercial lots we have a one inch trigger and pre treat before it snows. As far as treatment at nite I am assuming you are talking about as temps begin to drop? Again if you treat your lot once you plow you should be able to catch it before the temps begin to go down on you.

3. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Bud, are you talking about salting when there is less than two inches, say 1.3, allot to melt with salt?

4. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

we start at 1in. for all comm. customers salt and sand as needed after the intial scrape. 1.3 in., salt, temp. drop = ice.

5. winterangel

winterangel Member
    from Ohio

THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR REPLY The problem was, commer. and res. did not want me to push until a 2" snow fall. The temps drop through out the day even though I treated. So, the driveways and lots were not dry or clean. :realmad:

6. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

Push at 2" trigger but if getting really cold and say is 1/2 to 1 inch I usually just charge half price on my push cause it s very quick and apply salt to de-ice, I make good money off my salt and it is true you try and melt to much snow and it becomes slushy and it refreezes you have real problems then, and you don't want to look bad in the eyes of your customers or the public. Gotta work smarter not harder, plus it would take much less salt at customers lot, don't want the customer to think they are getting taken advantage of. I also sread nothin but Magic Salt in bulk and it works real well for me in the dark AM hours and will satrt melting ice before sun comes out at lower temperatures than straight rock salt. (My Opinion) and has one heck of a residual effect.