1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice control help needed please

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dixie Pro, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Dixie Pro

Dixie Pro Junior Member

I want to branch out from commercial/residential mowing and have a Big customer who wants me to do ice control. Being in central ky I beilieve this to be the best thing for me to do. I have an '01 1500 Z71 and need help as to what I will need to do parking lots and sidewalks. I want the equipment that will work well with this vehicle and maximize my time efficiency. Where do I start? Feel free to make suggestions and ask questions. Thank you very much.

2. Dixie Pro

Dixie Pro Junior Member

Wow, can I get a hand here?:(

3. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

I'll try to help ya a little , If you dont want to change to at least a 3/4 ton truck . You could buy a small salt spreader for your truck , stock up on salt and wait for the ice. Search here for application rates and your in business. Doug

4. EIB

EIB Senior Member

How big is the area you are going to salt? With that truck you probably can only use a tailgate spreader. Single stage for bag salt, two stage for bulk salt or sand. I have a Pro Flo 2, it can handle about 1000lbs of salt. As far as side walks, if you have a way to transport the spreader, ATV or tractor, you can use a small single stage unit. If you have no transport then a walk behind spreader works good.

5. Dixie Pro

Dixie Pro Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. The area would be about the size of 3 football fields as a laymans guess. Unfortunately, all I have is my 1500 series. Can some helper springs out back help at all? Would that Pro Flow 2 be sufficient for salt and sand for that size of lot? One more question for now, can I still hook up my trailer to the receiver? Thanks so much for the help. If I'm gonna do this, I need to get on the ball.

6. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Helper springs would help, so would adding a leaf, timbrens, or air bags.
    The Pro Flo 2 would handle it no problem. It's the work that you have to do to load it. Spreading salt and sand you would have to shovel the mix into the unit. Unless you can get it in bags.

As far as running a trailer, with the inbed mount it is possible. The spreader gets close to the hitch. The hardest part is hooking up, if the trailer nose is too high it will hit the spreader. I don't know about the hitch mount from Western.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You might want to look into a small spreader, like a 1/3 yard capacity. As an example, this is the ones from Downeaster:
    http://www.sandspreader.com/electric.shtml
    The small ones will weight around 250-260 pounds. Then considering the sand or salt (1/3 yard will weight approx 650 pounds), you're looking at a total weight of approx 1000 pounds. Now I know it's a "half-ton", but I put my full size Vbox (about 900 pounds) in my 1/2 to store it and it almost brought the front end off the ground. I'd suggest considering something like this over a tailgate to get some of the weight as far forward as possible. But if you're wanting a tailgate spreader, you'll probably want to stick with a single-stage model because the weight is behind the tailgate. This is from Fisher's site. Scroll down to the tailgate models. You'll see the major weight difference from one- to two-stage spreaders:
    http://www.fisherplows.com/spreaderspecs.asp
    You might also look into other models, such as Buyers which you can buy through Angelos:
    http://www.angelos-supplies.com/plowparts/spreaders.pg

8. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If you are going to spread salt and you like your truck you might want to look for a used beater of a 1 ton or 3/4 ton just for this job.

9. Dixie Pro

Dixie Pro Junior Member

Thanks for the help all. Actually I initially had in mind a v box type setup. A small one for my 6.5 ft bed. I went to that Central Parts Warehouse link and they had a poly v box (Trynex brand) that was easily removable too. Anyone know if that would be a good spreader? Also the idea of filling up a small hopper frequently doesn't thrill me. I think I can setup the Z71 to at least increase it's load capacity. I already have some 6 ply Duelers tires on. Not much, but a start. What do you guys think?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2005
  10. Mick

from Maine

Honestly? Stick with manufacturer recommendations. But if you know better than they, then do what you want to do.

11. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

I don't know about getting any trailers hooked up with a spreader mounted. I wouldn't think about bulk or v-box spreaders at all with that truck. I see guys with spreaders on 1/2 tons and they do okay but usually only put about half a pallet of salt in the bed (1200lbs). My recommendation is talk to the account and see about storing your salt on location someplace. Get a tailgate spreader, helper springs or something equivolent, and use a walk behind spreader for the walks. There is good money in salt, and you can keep your truck in tact for years to come if you don't overload it. The money you make can buy that heavier duty truck down the road. Another thing to keep in mind is 6ply duellers aren't 8-10 ply truck tires. They are what my wife has on her grocery getter. Not the load carrying capacity of the 8-10 ply tires. Also remember the weight in the back is working the differential, tranny,brakes and front end parts harder than they were designed. You are going to wear out more than shocks. A little more effort in loading more frequently could save you thousands in repairs to put towards a heavier truck, or an additional heavier truck. Good luck and be realistic about your trucks capabilities.

12. Dixie Pro

Dixie Pro Junior Member

Thanks for the honest opinions. I know you're just looking out for me and my truck. Just trying to do the best I can with what I have. Trying to make the least amount of work too as you can tell. Since mowing stopped all the income we have is my wife's job and it only pays most of the bills with nothing left over. With just getting medically discharged from the Air Force I knew the first year or two was gonna be tough. I really appreciate your words of wisdom.

As far as being able to store salt on site, that is not a problem. He said I can use their barn. So, ultimately, what would be the list of reliable equipment you would recommend for me knowing all this? One last thing, what would be the best way to load all that salt?:)

13. Mick

from Maine

Well, if I'm understanding all this, then I'd suggest getting a single stage tailgate model and bagged salt by the pallet. Don't bust the bags open till you're ready to spread it to keep moisture from getting in the bags. Fill the hopper before you start out from the bags in his barn. Carry a few more with you (five or six) but I really think if you get something that'll hold 600#, you should be able to cover that area you described. Empty your hopper at the end of each "shift". For a tailgate, you'll probably have to load it by hand.

Wash your truck and spreader thorughly after every trip involving salt.

Depending on how it goes this winter, consider upgrading to a 3/4 ton and a
    Vbox for next winter. You might be able to sell the single stage to someone "looking to start plowing on a budget".

14. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I am shouting this at the top of my lungs: DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A TRYNEX PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

15. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

I have the same truck a 00 1500 Z71.I put load range E Michelin tires on and dont have any problems with just salt I run a Snow ex 6' plastic and electric spreader .. it works great for salt. fully adjustable speeds.I will always own one of theses.

16. Dixie Pro

Dixie Pro Junior Member

LOL, I hear ya. I found two other long threads on the issues. It's enough to make me look elsewhere. Especially what I read about after-sale customer service.

17. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

I must be lucky then ... I have had no problems with my spreader at all. Last year I was backed into crushed the spinner .. I used it through the storm and destroyed the gearbox . they didn't have one in stock but I was able to have one the next day ..

18. Dixie Pro

Dixie Pro Junior Member

Is Buyers a good brand to buy?