1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ice build up on mirrors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by nor'easter1, Jan 31, 2011.

1. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Anyone have any good tricks for keeping the truck mirrors from building up with that continuous ice glaze on sleeting events. I kick myself for not getting the heated mirrors.

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have heard of guys using rainx on them.

Mike

3. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

I believe they make a heated pad that you can fix to the backside of the mirror and run the wires through the door chase to a simple switch. I will see if I can do some research at lunch today...

4. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I have heated mirrors..

What is this ice you speak of? :laughing:

5. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I reach over and push the little button that looks like a square with squiggly lines through it. Not sure what it's for but the ice goes away :D

6. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

rain-x does help if you don't have that button with the squiggly lines in it

7. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

I've done the Rain-X thing and it's better than nothing.

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

9. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Shoot, I didn't even know I had "heated mirrors" 'til I went on ebay to buy my towing mirrors.

10. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

LOL, I found out when my wife clipped the passenger mirror backing out of the garage. I found the extra wire and noticed the mirror had a heat strip on the back. Told the wife I wasn't upset because the way I looked at it, I didn't pay $150 for a new mirror, I paid $150 to get heated mirrors!

11. wildwilly

wildwilly Member

I keep a squirt bottle( like the barber or stylist or whatever they are called now) full of rain x or even low temp window washer fluid and a roll of paper towels handy

12. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

when the truck is parked I tie plasitc grocery bags on em. Than when its time to plow cut em off and go. best part is their free.

13. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

http://www.burcoinc.com/products/redi_cuts/rediheat_complete/

14. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

get a spray bottle and fill it with 50/50 white viniger and water.

Squirt/saturate the mirror with it..

Better than nothing.

But heated mirrors is best.

Bob

15. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Try drinking alot of beer when your plowing, then when the ice appears, well you know!

16. Mr.Freezzz

Mr.Freezzz Member
    from Utah

Or spray more water on them ?????

17. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

I could never own another truck without heated mirrors, certainly not one that plows snow...

18. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My Tundra has heated mirrors and I love them. I will never go back to regular mirrors.

19. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

it said i can have turn signals or heated? well i could care less if they can see if i am turning so i checked heated