1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ice breaker sander

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by vandoos22, Nov 11, 2009.

1. vandoos22

vandoos22 Junior Member

hi. I wonder if anybody can help me out. I am new on this site and i have been spending quite some time reading threads. It amazing what you can learn on this site. but anyway my question is, I have a western sander and when i try to stop the spinner and conveyor with the control inside the cab it wont stop. I have to shut the entire unit off. if i start the engine again it will start with the spinner running. i disconnected the wire from the electric clutch and tried it again and the spinner was still running. anybody knows what it is? the switch inside the cab, the electric clutch is bad or the selenoid???:help:
  2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

possibly a wire off of the switch in the cab, wired wrong, or bad entirely. don't start the motor, but hit the engage switch. does the clutch lock and unlock? spray the piss out of it with wd-40 or = and let it set awhile. try it again. turn the power off to the whole thing, turn the spinner with your foot.can you spin it?
    if no the clutch is locked. can you turn anything by hand? when you turn the clutch on and of you should hear it click, does it?
  3. vandoos22

vandoos22 Junior Member

I grab the wheel from the clutch where the belt runs and i turn it by hand and the spinner will turn also. i just cant get the spinner with the conveyor , which works together to stop with the button inside the cab. when i start the engine the spinner is running also. did you mean to spray the clutch with WD40? I have not tried yet to hit the button with the engine off. you say i will hear it click?
  4. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

i dont have experience on the westerns but i am assuming they are the same set-up as most with a clutch plate that will click when powered up. you will also see it snap closed. try disconnecting your in-cab controls and see if you can see a gab in between the clutch plates. if so then run a test wire directly from your battery + and connect it to the + wire entering your clutch. if the clutch engages then you have a bad connectin somewhere. this mean a wire is crossed as stated by no lead. i would then pick-up a set or 7 pin trailer connecters and start rewiring there.